April 11, 2016

We Are Not Trees


I've long admired those folks who decide they want to live in a certain city (or country), then make it happen. Now I'm excited (and nervous and a bit overwhelmed) to write that Bob and I are joining their ranks. This summer, we will be packing up and moving south to Charlotte, North Carolina!

Why? Well, I've spent quite a bit of time in the Queen City over the past few years, and I love it. Charlotte is a "my size" city, and clean, easy to get around, and packed full of fun things to do. It has Southern charm, tempered just enough by an influx of non-natives, that appeals to this life long Northerner (in other words, people are super friendly but no one will look askance at me for not saying "y'all" every two minutes). The climate is good (no more snow!) as is the cost of living, and there are beaches a few hours away in one direction, and mountains in the other. We are targeting an area south of Uptown that is known for excellent schools, friendly neighborhoods and low crime. I'm really excited to be able to raise Owen in an area that offers lots of opportunities and a quality of life that I love and want for him.

A huge part of the draw is that some of our best friends, the Kieffers, call Charlotte home. If you've read here for a while, you may remember some of our adventures with Marc, Le Anne and their kids, Rhys and Elloree. We always have a great time together, and they will be the perfect ambassadors to welcome us to our new home in more ways than one: Marc is our real estate agent and I'll be working with Le Anne at her interior design firm, Halcyon Hive.

After absolutely loving being a stay at home mom these past 9 years, I'm thrilled that Le Anne wants me to join her as she makes the homes of Charlotte more beautiful! She is incredibly talented and is crazy busy with new clients clamoring for her amazing eye and design sense, and after talking about it for some time we've agreed I can contribute my skills to help further build the business. I feel so lucky to have this opportunity at a job I will love, with a friend I adore, and still have the ability to "mom" in the way that I feel is best for our Owen.

Of course none of this would be possible without Bob's support and buy-in and we are so fortunate that years of hard work and sacrifice have lead us to a point where, with his business partner's blessings, he can work from home. I'm sure it will be an interesting transition for both of us, but also one that will be positive. And yes, I am expecting him to do some laundry between conference calls!

So, while this is all exciting (and exhausting - getting the house ready to list has meant a lot of painting, basement cleaning and many, many donation drop-off trips to Goodwill), it's not been without tears and worries. Change is almost always hard, and it's going to be tough to say goodbye to the friends and neighbors we have here.

Our biggest concern was how Cearra would feel. She's in such a good place now, her and Tim are settled happily into their new home and busy with wedding planning, but of course it's still hard on all us to move away. She understands and gave us her support, and in a few years I wouldn't be surprised if her and Tim join us in a southern migration!

It was tough for me to tell my parents too. As the oldest child, and with my sister in Wisconsin, I've always felt a strong obligation to stay close. And honestly, it is hard and painful to know I won't see them as often, and especially that they won't see Owen as much. I'm very grateful that they are in good health, that they live in a fabulous neighborhood with many close friends and activities that keep them busy and happy, and that they understand and want me to be happy. Bob's mom is one of the most positive people I know, and while I know she will miss us too, she responded with enthusiasm and excitement about our new adventure. And I'm thankful that my brother and sister-in-law live in the same town; it's comforting to know they are always there. We are looking forward to welcoming them all to Charlotte for many long visits. 

The most gut-wrenching person to tell? Hands down, that was Owen. It's understandable; this is the only house he's ever lived in, he will miss his friends, and I don't think he quite gets the whole move thing; he keeps pointing out different things around the house (the TV, toys, ) and asking if we are taking them with us. There have been moments of tears that have made my heart hurt and think twice, but I know without a doubt he will be OK and that this move is best for us as a family. I'm hanging on to that and it helps that recently Owen has been more positive, especially when I show him home listings with pools and tell him he can pick his room at the new place.

So, that's our big news y'all! Our house hit the market Saturday (local friends, if you know anyone looking for a beautiful 4 bed, 2.5 bath home with all new carpet, granite and SS appliances in a wonderful Carroll County neighborhood, let me know!) and we are hoping to be in Charlotte with time for Owen to meet some neighborhood kids and new friends before school starts.     

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will really miss all of you! You've been wonderful neighbors and friends. Almost wish you were trees. ;) Sorry to see you go but very happy for you! We wish you all the best and hope to see you again. Please know that you're always welcome to stay with us. Donna & Nelson

Lisa said...

Jodi, I hope that my husband and I will follow you into the south sometime in the next few years. We love it there too, just mostly further south. All the best to you and your family on this exciting move.
Lisa Collins