April 18, 2017

Bahama Mama Report

A few months ago Owen watched a YouTube video of the Atlantis water park and became fascinated with the water slides. Thanks to generous grandparents and Bob's hard work and financial planning, his dream became reality as we jetted off to the Bahamas for Spring Break.






When I told friends we were heading to Atlantis, the most common comment (after "can I go too?") was ... "the food is really expensive". I can confirm this is absolutely true, but that Owen thoroughly enjoyed his $16 Key Lime cheesecake slice and my $48 tuna fillet at Olives' was cooked how I prefer. I also tried my best to eat $65 in desserts at the Poseidon buffet - the boba tarts were my fave! After all, there's no dieting on vacation.


The resort is huge and gorgeous (good for walking off all those boba tarts) with interesting architecture and details everywhere plus four stunning "Chihulys".










I loved encountering sea life at every turn. There were turtles and sting rays and starfish in pools right outside our tower doors, sharks and other predators cruising overhead in a long tunnel and through blue lagoons, and fish of every kind enjoying the watery depths of "The Dig".











And while the pools at Atlantis are large and pretty, the stunning ocean a few feet away is the real draw for me. I was slightly disappointed as there had been a storm a few days earlier and for the first two days no one was allowed in the waves. The surf remained rough and we only ventured in up to our knees but just being in such beauty is amazing.






Fun was had by all at the water park. The "lazy" river ride was the best I've ever been on thanks to rapids and the waves that swept through the course. Owen tackled most of the slides, as did Bob and my dad got into the act too. But I'm the only one who braved the Leap of Faith!


Atlantis is also well known for Dolphin Cay. As Owen had been permitted to swim with a dolphin when we went to Discovery Cove a few years back, he thought the Sea Lion Trainer Experience would be fun ... and it was! We got a tour of the feeding and veterinary facilities - and saw a jar of sea lion cataracts, an eyeball, a dolphin tongue and brain, all floating in formaldehyde. Then we waded into a cold pool to interact with two sea lions. We were able to free swim with them, feed them, and give a command. Our trainer shared a lot of interesting facts - for example, the difference between sea lions and seals is that the former has external ear flaps while the latter does not - and another trainer let us watch a huge male play fetch with a float toy that he loves. No pictures unfortunately as personal cameras weren't allowed; and well, because scuba suits aren't flattering, especially if you have to pay over $100 for the pics! Before our session we watched the dolphin program which made me once again want to fulfill my life long dream of moving to the tropics and being a trainer!



Owen also managed to find time to join in with a Junkanoo band, play the slots, ride an aqua cycle, and enjoy some (quickly melting) Ben & Jerry's ice cream.


(just kidding)





And we all slept very well each night!




No comments: