December 27, 2008

And So This Was Christmas










I tend to a bit of melancholy each year as we drive home after the family gathering; the colored lights seem dimmer, the wreaths and garlands a little wilted. I find myself amazed that another Christmas has come and gone, and wishing somehow that I could have squeezed one more hour from the day. But even as I gaze out the car window and feel a bit sad, I am more blessed that I can reflect on another Christmas spent with those I love most. And so some thoughts from this year:

I'm especially thankful that my sister and brother-in-law safely drove 20 hours through rain and snow and ice to be at my parents house, that we could all be together to celebrate my mom's birthday and wake up under the same roof Christmas morning. I'm thankful that Uncle Rich and Aunt Cathy recovered from the stomach bug in time to join the party Christmas day, and that the food was great and the company even better at my Uncle Bud and Aunt Jeanne's house.

I cherish Christmas not for the gifts (although of course they are always nice!) but because on this day I have the chance to visit family, to stand around the kitchen island nibbling veggie pizza and chatting with my cousin Kim, in from Atlanta, and catching up with everyone else.

I love that my dad (and my Uncle Bud) dug out their childhood Lionel train sets - complete with "Plasticville" houses - and created magic for the kids. I love that we had coconut shrimp and ice cream cake on Christmas Eve (Happy Birthday Mom!). I love that Owen liked ripping the paper off his presents and wanted to play with each one. I love that Samantha opened a Dora book first and we all had to pause while she sat with her Pop-pop as he read to her, and that Kenzie danced with her assortment of animated plush toys. I love that Riley happily chewed on his new teething book and sat with Cearra most of the morning. I love that the pink ball exchange continues (yes, Kris and Jeff - we found it!). I love that Cearra's sister Kristine and her hubby Cliff had the opportunity to stop by the day after Christmas for a visit.

So yeah, our Christmas was great - loud, hectic, filled to the brim with kids and toys, and over much too fast. I hope that you all had an equally fantastic holiday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi, great post and love the pictures. We're glad the pink ball made it back home to its owner.

Love,
Kris