June 1, 2010

It's Always Sunny in SoCal

Dear Family,

I am aware that as a group we have lived for generations on the East Coast, and for the most part are happy to do so. In fact, I believe we may think those that venture from the comfort of the mid-Atlantic states are a bit, um, unsettled. However, I now have a proposition for you all:


OK, I'll back up a bit.

There are a few places that I've greatly enjoyed visiting - Chicago, San Antonio, Jackson Hole, and New Orleans to name a few. But when a plane lands in San Diego and I step off and drive across that soaring, slender bridge to Coronado, my soul goes "ahhhhhh".

I'm not even sure why I love it so, but oh, I do. Maybe it's the drama of cliff meeting ocean, the Piscean dream of water everywhere you turn. The riot of bright pink flowers and shops filled with treasures. I know without a doubt the (almost) unreal perfection of the weather is a big draw - how are you ever unhappy when it's 70 and sunny?

Sure, real estate, and most everything else, is expensive; we'd need to learn Spanish; I've been told the locals can be a little snobby; and there's that pesky earthquake thing (no fear - the one inexpensive item in California is alcohol, so we're good there). But I think if we all agree to a move we can pool our money and buy this 9,200 square foot house for $17.5 million. And as we'll all be together we won't care if the locals are less than welcoming!



So who's in?

Not sold yet? I'll give you more time and a few pictures from our recent jaunt.


Owen and puppy, ready for take-off.


See, there are Penn Staters and fellow former East Coasters there already!


We were thrilled to be able to spend a day at the San Diego Zoo with the Coles - Susan and Scott were with us in Kokshetau on our first trip and have been wonderful friends ever since; Jack and Brooke are their beautiful kiddos.




The Kokshetau kids. Fast friends and rock climbing/(fake) ant hill exploring buddies.


Don't we look happy?


A little giraffe tongue slime never hurt anyone.


Love the zoo; love these two.

On Saturday we made the short trip to La Jolla and spent a few blissful hours on the clean sandy beach of one of the many coves dotting the coast.


It's really hard not to smile here.



Owen loves digging in the sand and splashing in the waves. Check out Bob's face though - the water was cold!


See all the little seal heads bobbing up from the water? They are looking at the beach waiting for a chance to come ashore and rest on the sand. Seals, especially the babies, need to rest out of the water for at least 1/3 of the day in order to build up their strength. To be blunt - no rest, early death. But people like the blond woman and her child who ignore the posted signs asking visitors to please stay off the beach make the seals too nervous to come in (I took this picture from the sea wall adjacent to the beach, and you get a great view from there). When we move to SoCal you can join me in becoming an on-the-scene seal activist; in the meantime, check out www.SaveSanDiegoSeals.com.

Back to our sales pitch (er, vacation pics) ...

We stayed with our longtime friends Audrey and Walt who have lived on Coronado for a year courtesy of Walt's job with the shipyard. As always we shared many laughs, a few debates, and a great time in their company.


Dinner tastes better on a deck with a view of San Diego harbor.


Owen thinks so too. Are you ready yet?


Sunday was Jenna's first communion. She did a wonderful job.


Even more beautiful than Coronado.


Bye to San Diego ... for now.

4 comments:

Susan C. said...

Dear Jodi's family,
I'm in full support of you all moving out here. And there are places here for less than $17.5 million, so if you can't quite reach that dollar amount, you're sure to still find something.

Please do move out... I'd love to have Jodi as a neighbor! I'd even help unpack on this end and we promise to show you the ropes of Southern CA.

Just think.... now shoveling snow, but if you miss the snow, it is only an hour and a half drive away.
-Susan

Anonymous said...

Um...are you saying that I'm "unsettled"? Lol...Love our mid-Atlantic states though, there is no place like home.
I'm in though...I already am working on the Spanish. :D
love you!
~Bren

Jodi said...

Susan - you'd be a brilliant neighbor!!

And Bren, yes, I'm calling you unsettled - and I'm envious - ha ha ha!! Hey, when we relocate everyone to SoCal you can teach us all Spanish. Great plan!

Nanny said...

I'm in but I would have to go as a 'free maid and 'Nanny', instead of a 'buyer'... do you think that will work?