May 12, 2012

"Dear Jodi (Mom)"


Back when I first started dating Bob, some wondered if I knew "what I was getting myself into"; a man who had been married, a father with a daughter. Honestly I didn't mull it over too much; I was in love, and Cearra was a three-year old bundle of sweetness and beauty added to my world.

Being a stepmother wasn't always easy. While I was very lucky that Cearra's mother always allowed me to play a role in C's life, I was also always conscientious of the fact that I wasn't Cearra's mom, and I never wanted to do or say anything to upset that balance. That can make a relationship tricky ... just how do you discipline, offer advice, console, etc., a child in the "right" way when you are in fact a bit of a third-wheel of a parent? There were times I was frustrated; times I was elated; moments that made my heart soar; and many times when I bit my tongue and just hung on.

I always tried to do my best, to put Cearra's happiness and well-being first in every decision. Over the years it got as easy as breathing - because after all I loved Cearra as "my own" from the very start.

It has been an amazing journey watching her grow up, and I don't know what my life would have been without her. The joy has always far outweighed any struggles. As she prepares to graduate from college and embark on the next stage of her life, I am thrilled to be by her side and look forward to experiencing how our relationship continues to grow through all the moments she has ahead.

This Mother's Day Cearra sent me a beautiful card, with a sentiment thanking me for my love and support, signing it from both her and Owen. And then she wrote that "a gift for you has been purchased from Bead for Life to help support other mothers in Uganda do for their child what you have done for Owen and I".

And that - the card and her thoughts, plus the compassion and awareness Cearra demonstrated by choosing that very special gift - well, that is more precious to me than any material thing. It means the world to me. Because while I might not have known all those years ago what I was getting myself into, I absolutely know now how I am blessed.

I love you Cearra and Owen. You both mean everything to me, and I am so proud and honored to be your mom, mommy, step mom, and bonus mom!

2 comments:

Mom/Nanny said...

Jodi, You are such a special "Mom", daughter (in-law), wife, friend and the list goes on and on. I thank you so much for the wonderful influence you have been in Cearra's life. She is such a beautiful, intelligent, sensitive, young lady of integrity, and I know how much you have invested into helping her reach this 'stature' in her life.
Cearra and Owen are so blessed to have you for their Mom. Everyday is Mother's Day! Love you so, Mom/Nanny

Susan C. said...

So sweet...brings tears to my eyes.