March 6, 2014

Can We Have More of These Days Please?

It's my birthday! All day I've been basking in the glow of cards, texts, calls, sweet treats and facebook greetings from friends and family near and far. I am so blessed! Thank you all.

Turning 47 doesn't bother me. I'm thankful for each year I get to spend on this earth, and look forward to new experiences and continued happiness ahead. Oh sure, some of the signs of aging I could do without - I don't love the number "11" etched between my eyebrows and I've finally switched to professional color in an attempt to keep the gray away longer (see you next week Abby!) - but all in all, I don't think I'm fairing too badly.

It's Connie Britton's birthday too - we are the same age. Of course she has dermatologists and make-up artists:


And Daniel Craig is a year younger than me ... and considered a sex symbol:


So yeah, I'm feeling OK!

Not to mention that I've matured enough to know that hating one's appearance is a waste of time and energy that's better spent enjoying life. I had too many years feeling fat and bad about my body. But as I gaze back now at those days when I could kick my leg over my head (Conestoga Kick Line forever!) and wear a strapless gown without Fort Knox strength foundation garments, well, I realize I looked pretty good. What a shame I didn't fully enjoy it then.

No more. Now, despite its' love handles, and wrinkles, and wobbly bits, I appreciate my body. It's protected me and fought a tough invader, and on a daily basis it allows me to take a walk with my husband, hug my daughter, and shoot hoops with my son.

As for the age spots, fine lines, and blurry eyesight, I just slap on some makeup (and, albeit belatedly, sunscreen) and my reading glasses, and get to it. Because if I can't embrace myself now - flaws and all - how will I feel in another ten years?

So dear friends, my gift to you today is a reminder that each and every one of you is special, and beautiful, and important to me exactly the way you are.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Honey, you have been beautiful to me since I first saw you in Abington Hospital 47 years ago. You are beautiful inside as well as outside and I am thankful every day for your being in my life. Love and ,again, Happy Birthday. Love MOM