January 1, 2015

New Years Resolutions. Or Not.


I can't remember ever making a New Years resolution. Over the years there may have been some half-hearted, 11:59 PM murmurs of "go to gym regularly, eat better, clean out that junk drawer", but I've never put in the time to consciously reflect and plan. Same with a manifesto. Or a word for the year. I don't have a word (and have no idea how you pick just one).

It's not that I don't feel a bit lacking and lazy when I read others proud declarations of their intentions. I do. But I've also realized that it's OK I don't join them; I'm just not that person.

I've never had a 5 year plan, vision board or goal setting session. Once my childhood aspirations of being a veterinarian were crushed by the realization one actually had to put animals to sleep (and be good at biology), I never quite came up with a new career goal. Never thought or planned to become a proposal writer, a contracts manager, or a marketing director; but I did, and I was good at it.

As a young girl I didn't play bride and dream of the day I'd marry Prince Charming in a big puffy dress. If I had, I doubt I would have conjured up marrying a divorced man with a child at the age of 29. Yet that's worked out pretty darn well too.

I wasn't much for playing with dolls, or dreaming about how many kids I'd have.  I certainly did not plan on traveling halfway around the world to bring home the child of my heart. But, as you all know, that's exactly what made me complete.

So while I do occasionally envy those who write their goals on paper and cast their dreams into the universe, I'm good with being who I am. I don't look too far ahead, I don't dwell too far behind. I prefer to keep my soul open and take things as they come. Perhaps that's really my new years (and every day) resolution - be happy with who I am, where I am.

Wishing you all a happy 2015, in ways that make you happiest.

No comments: