January 26, 2007

Settling In





The Yanks have invaded Kokshetau! I don’t think this city has ever seen so many Americans walking their streets. There’s Maureen & Sean (TX), Jenny & Darryl (OH), Steve & Mechelle (GA), Joan (CA), and Bill & Jill (WI). We get some stares, but Bob and I don’t feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. In fact we think the greatest thing about traveling is realizing first hand that while we may look different and have different customs and ways of living, everyone really is the same underneath, with similar hopes for a happy, good life.

Because there are so many WPA families here right now, we have been in a hotel since arriving, but will be moving to an apartment on Sunday. There is no washing machine there but a local woman will do laundry for us (about $4 a load but baby clothes are no charge) and we think we will try to buy a microwave to make cooking a little more convenient. We are looking forward to being able to unpack the suitcases and feel a little more settled. Plus the apartment is very close to the Viola market which is good for food and drinks, and the cottage where two of the families are staying.

Last night we went to the local “pick-up store” (a small grocery store where you can actually roam the aisles and select things for yourself as opposed to the more common stores where the merchandise is located behind glass or on shelves and you have to ask the staff to get you what you want) for my daily supply of Coke Light. A young woman who works there shyly approached us as we looked at the beer selection and asked if we needed help; sensing that she really wanted to practice her English we asked her advice on beer, cookies and dark chocolate – so much for losing weight while here - and ended up with a few more things then we originally went for, including a personal interaction that left us (and her) smiling.

Yesterday was also our first day without a nap – which is a pretty big milestone in getting over jet lag. Of course this morning I woke at 4:00 am so we may still have a ways to go. Oleg, the main driver and “get things done” guy here (we tease him that he’s really the Mayor and he usually responds “not yet”) says drinking a little vodka everyday helps your body adjust to the food, and so far I think he’s right as my nightly cherry juice and vodka has kept me feeling pretty good!

I wish we could update everyday but the dial-up internet connection is very touchy and sometimes just won’t work at all. I’ll do my best to provide you all with stories, insights and more pictures of the cutest boy in all of Kokshetau! Know that we love your comments and emails and that while we miss you all, we are safe and happy and having a great time on this adventure!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, how I love the updates! You are doing a wonderful job keeping us informed from the other side of the world!

Keep up the good work,

(((((((Bear Hug))))))))

Sherry

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you. I am sure the more you get to know the 'folks' in your new neighborhood they will become special friends. I am so glad you will be moving into an apartment and have a little room to expand your belongings/family...
Can't stop looking at the pictures... Owen is so precious, and I noticed he was sucking his 'left' thumb, ummm sounds like something Uncle Todd may want to comment on...
With love, Mom/Nanny

Anonymous said...

Do they have orange juice?

If not try tomato juice,,,,,,, well have fun but make sure u take care the the BIG E of course. God Bless!!!


EZ

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear from you THREE. I printed out one of the pictures to show Mother (Owen's great-great grandmother) on Sunday. This technology is wonderful! Keep the pitures coming. Love you all.

Aunt Joan and Uncle Phil

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else, I love the updates, too! I checked today and was surprised that you had the opportunity to write again so soon!
You are going to have such a great story to tell Owen as he grows up and learns how hard you worked to find him! Counting the days 'til you bring Owen home!!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly see through the tears as I scroll down the beautiful pictures of your family. Owen gets cuter every time I see him. I love the one with the toy in the mouth. So glad all is going well. Enjoy getting to know your son now, I have a feeling when you get back we will all be waiting in line to get our hands on him. Love you guys. Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you. It sounds like everything is falling into place. I'm so happy for The Mechem Team. Life as you know it has become richer in so many ways. He is going to make your heart grow in ways you can't even imagine. We love you and we can't wait to welcome the new Mechem/Kaufmann.
-Waldry

Anonymous said...

Dear Bob, Jodi and Owen...we are thrilled that you are all together. What a special opportunity you have to explore Owen's homeland...a priceless experience. We look forward to each posting. Enjoy your time there and come home safely. Love to each of you. Pam & Gene

demic said...

Jodi and fam, Owen is a beautiful blessing, you must be so proud! The Clemmons fam here is Florida are so happy for you! We are sending prayers your way for a safe, happy return!

Anonymous said...

The Reimans are soooo happy for you! I sent you an email - had no idea you were there, and I was yelling across the house to Dan to come look at the pictures - I am so happy for you all! Owen is beautiful and looks very healthy and happy! Your stories of Kaz bring back memories of Kirov and the family we lived with. We only got to stay in Russia for four days, and I wish it was longer. I know it seems long, but there will come a day when you will be so happy that you spent the time in Kaz getting to know the people there! Good luck, and you're in our prayers! Love, Brette

Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm a loser with this blog...I've been calling your house for a few days and figured I better finally check the blog!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! My kids want to keep seeing his picture and go "Aaawwww!" everytime we scroll by his adorable picture. Email me when you get a chance, jodi...twedezoo@emcity.net. Love ya and best of all possible wishes you guys!!!