March 22, 2007

Home Two Weeks!







We've now been home two weeks - hard to believe. But even more unreal is that it is getting harder and harder to remember that we were in Kaz for six weeks; I'm afraid the memories are fading too fast in our efforts to adjust to life now. Many other families have said they miss their time in Kazakhstan; and while I don't think I can say that yet, I do now understand how one could feel that way. Luckily we have lots of pictures, this blog, and our travel partners to help us keep our journey half way around the world alive.

Of course life at home is great! It has been a challenging two weeks ... just as Owen was feeling better I got very sick and Bob's business trip was extended another four days. My mom came to my rescue (as did Kim who showed up at my door with chicken soup, jello and meds) and stayed with Owen and me a few days. Once I was back on my feet we drove up to PA to surprise my dad, visit with Aunt Cathy and Uncle Rich, and introduce Owen to his great aunt Sue and cousins Bev and Nicole. One of the sweetest moments for me was seeing my beloved Nana finally hold her newest great grandson. Two of my favorite people together at last.

Owen had an appointment yesterday with Dr. Mike and was pronounced healthy and happy. He now weighs 18.9 lbs ( he has gained more than two pounds since we first took custody of him in mid February, but I think at least half of that went right to his cheeks!), and is 28 inches long (that's the 75 percentile for height folks). Poor thing emerged with four bandages on his thighs from the vaccinations - we have to catch him up - and one on his toe from a blood draw, but he handled it all like a trooper, even smiling at the nurse who stuck him once it was over.

He continues to love his baths, he sleeps through the night 90% of the time, and eats anything we offer him. Owen likes to meet people and he adores the cats, he laughs whenever they come into the room or get near him. We are so very lucky - Owen is a smiley, pleasant, easy going kid who just lights up our life! Enjoy the pictures and we'll see you again soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi -
Glad to hear that you all are settling in. I do hope that Tyus and I can get up there to visit you and Owen soon.

Anonymous said...

Owen appears to bring sunshine wherever he goes. His happy disposition is so evident in all the pictures. What a dear little guy...and he loves the kitties. How wonderful that is. Thanks for the pictures...they bring sunshine to our days as well. Pam & Gene