June 5, 2008

Kathie's Night






I've always thought that seeing your loved ones as others see them is an interesting - and usually positive - experience. Last night we had such an opportunity as we joined my mother-in-law's friends and co-workers at a surprise retirement dinner in her honor. Held in downtown Cumberland (where Owen enjoyed the fountains and statues afterwards) this was indeed a wonderful event.

Kathie's peers had many memories to share of her 30 plus years teaching and facilitating Special Education for the Allegeny County Schools. A few themes quickly became apparent: Kathie's patience and sensitivity; her dedication; her creativity and artistic abilities; her way of making each child feel unique and special. Every person who spoke thanked Kathie not only for her long service to the school district and the children, but also for being an inspiration to them in their professional and personal lives; for being a loyal, giving, kind friend; and for being a positive model of faith and optimism (as well as a keen bargain shopper and bulletin board creator extraordinaire!).

Quite an accolade - and absolutely warranted. For Kathie is truly a special person. I know Bob and Todd feel blessed that she is their mother, and I know I also speak for Maria when I say we could have no better mother-in-law. Cearra, Hannah and Owen's lives are richer for her presence, guidance and love. And while I have no doubt the students and teachers will miss her, we're excited about the possibilities of more visits to and from Nanny! Congratulations and happy retirement Mom!

2 comments:

The Neeleys said...

My life is richer too, because of Nanny. Will you please relay to her my congratulations? Thanks!

-Kristine

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
What a wonderful tribute to Kathi, who has spent so many years caring for the children of Cumberland! I consider her a friend and know what a blessing she has been to her family and community. Congratulations to you, Kathi (I know you read the blog!!!!) and I will be looking forward to seeing you in July.