July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Bonus


I've never liked the term "step-mom" or "step-daughter". The undertone of half best, or second rate, or even mean and evil (thanks Disney). The way I think of it, the way I've felt since I married Bob 12 years ago, is that Cearra is my bonus daughter.

Dictionary.com defines "bonus" as something extra or additional given freely. And that is indeed what Cearra has been in my life. A wonderful gift that I didn't expect; a beautiful addition to my world.

And today Cearra turns 18! It's so hard to believe that the little girl with a curly ponytail is now this gorgeous young woman, with, sometimes still, a curly ponytail. It has been a pleasure to watch her grow and achieve and laugh and learn.

So many, many times she has blown me away with her wisdom, her passion, her insight. A few times she has made me shake my head with her ... let's call it determination. And yes, there have been moments when she's made me cry (I'm sure I haven't always been her favorite person either). But through it all, I've always known how lucky I am to know her.

I hope that today she is happy. I hope she is excited about her future. And I hope she knows how much she is loved - not just by her dad (who calls her his special princess and means it), but by her whole family, and me ... her "bonus mom".

Love you C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words Jodi! They not only speak to the 'special' person Cearra is, but to the 'special' person her 'Bonus' Mom is, and the incredible relationship they share!

Happy Birthday Sweet Cearra,
Love you always,
Nanny