April 10, 2009

Our Weekends Away

I spent last weekend in Sunset Beach, NC with my friends Alison, Angela and Le Anne -Susan couldn't make it and we missed her tons - celebrating Kaz Moms Weekend '09; while Owen spent four full days (the longest I'd ever been away from him) at Nanny's in Cumberland.


The view from Marc and Le Anne's porch - ahhhhh ...

Despite a bit of separation anxiety, I was able to relax and enjoy my time at the beach because I knew Owen was having a great time. Nanny reported that he woke up every morning and asked, "Mommy back?", and that after she told him I was on a vacation - and he was too - he'd happily go about his day. I called more times than necessary (remember, this was the longest I'd ever been away from him!) and Nanny patiently humored me with all the little details of his days and let him give me kisses over the phone.

He certainly had a five-star vacation! Visits to and from Aunt Pam, family friend Patti, and his great-grandfather Bud; plus lots of special times with cousin Hannah, Uncle Todd and Aunt Maria.






Nanny had prepared the deluxe version of a cardboard box house for his arrival - it had two rooms, a rug, windows with curtains, a doorknob and key hole, and a mail box. Plush! Owen enjoyed playing in and on it all weekend.



Time was filled with rounds of hide-and-seek (he loves those cupboards), plenty of walks and excursions - including hot fudge sundaes at the ice cream parlor a couple times, bubbles on a beautiful day, lots of playing with trucks and cars, and art time making adorable cards using Owen's fingerprints.





I'm not going to lie ... I could barely wait to get back to him and seeing his face through the window when he came to open the door on Monday was priceless. Lots of hugs and kisses and a few tears - did I mention this was the longest I'd ever been away from him?! But it was truly a gift to be able to have a weekend away, and I am so thankful to Nanny, Maria and Todd for loving him as much as we do and for making his vacation so special.

2 comments:

Susan C. said...

Missed you too!!

Aunt Maria said...

We miss you sooo much Owen!!!!
Life just isn't quit as exciting without you.