September 1, 2009

School Days - Part II






Well, as my wise cousin Kim so accurately predicted, Owen took this day in stride, and Mommy had the harder time!

At 11:30 this morning Owen donned his dinosaur (alligator?, hippo?) backpack and posed for a few pictures before we made the short trip to Little People's Place for his first day of pre-school. Once there, we took a few more shots before heading inside to find his cubby (he shares it with one of his "girlfriends" Reganne!) and into his classroom to greet Miss Stephanie and Miss Marianne.

Owen made a beeline for the fish tank and after he and a few of his classmates watched Raven and Poe swim about for a few minutes I knelt down, gave him a big hug, told him I loved him and to have a good time, and that I'd be back soon. He calmly said "love you too" and as I glanced back before leaving he headed over to a table laden with toys and started playing.

No crying, no fear, no problems ... for Owen. I did manage to get to my car and call Nana and Pop-pop before I shed a few tears, but really I think I did fairly well considering I cannot believe my little baby is old enough to be away from me three hours an afternoon, two days a week!

I stayed busy by going to the library and partaking in a little retail therapy (got some early Christmas shopping accomplished!) and before too long it was time to pick Owen up again.

As I entered his classroom I saw him sitting calmly on the rug with some of his new buddies; he looked up, saw me and waved, then came running out (after his teacher said it was OK) to greet me with a big smile and hug. Without a doubt the best part of my day!

Miss Marianne said he did great and Owen seemed very happy - he showed me the spider he made and we sang a bit of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" (this month is Nursery Rhymes). He liked playing outside and the snack, and said he had fun.

As for me, I'm relieved. Now how many more "first day of school" days do I have to survive?? (smile) Life is good.

4 comments:

Nanny said...

Cherish each 'first' day... they pass by much to quickly. You can be so proud of both Cearra and Owen, and pat yourselves on the back for the outstanding parents you are and will continue to be. That is one worry I don't have, my grandkids, I know they are loved and treasured each and every day.
Nanny/Mom

NANA said...

Jodi,What precious pictures!!!!!  Thanks for posting them so quickly as Dad and I were eagerly awaiting a report on Owen's reaction to his first day of school!  You and Bob must be so proud of your little man.  He certainly was a cool customer, wasn't he???  We love you all.   MOM

Anonymous said...

You brought me to tears ... I know this is hard for you ... can you believe how much O's grown up already??? However, "retail therapy" is always a good solution! Thanks for sharing the pictures & I'm glad he had so much fun! Erin

The Metz Family said...

Jodi - I hate to tell you, but it does NOT get easier ;-)!

I sent Jackson off to Kindergarten on the SCHOOL BUS - all by himself -- I'm still getting weapy every morning - not sure when that will end.

By far the hardest was Ethen though - he can't even climb that big busses steps, and I sent him off by himself too! The bus driver and monitor remind me daily though that he likes the time after I put him on the bus far more than he likes the time off of it!

I'm beginning to think our hearts will always get weapy - no matter how olds they get. I wouldn't trade it for the world though -- you know?

You're a great Mom, it shows in every post you make -- so he'll always be okay when you drop him off, or put him on the bus. It's just us that have to figure out how to get through it! ;-)

Best of luck to Owen in this school year from the Metz boys!

Kristi