April 19, 2010

Pie Play Along

Owen needed a flower to plant in the school garden tomorrow for Earth Day, so after the gym we went to Baugher's Restaurant which sits adjacent to Baugher's Market with its bright display of flowers, fruits and vegetables (Owen chose a yellow zinnia).

Baugher's is the kind of place that draws men in suspenders seated at the lunch counter, and it's average age customer is a proud card-carrying member of AARP. The conversation today in the booth behind ours centered on drug interactions, and across the aisle a woman treated her granddaughter to an ice cream cone. The apple theme from Baugher's Farm located right up the road is transferred here in the wallpaper, curtains, clock, and labels pasted on the glass display case containing homemade ice cream.

It's the kind of place where the daily special is usually an open face hot turkey sandwich or tuna casserole. The lettuce is always - and only - iceberg, menu sides include corn and apple fritters, banana nut salad topped with chopped maraschino cherries, and jello; and chipped beef gravy is available everyday from 7:30am to 11:30am.

It's the kind of place I like, and that my Uncle Rich would love.

The pies at Baugher's are also homemade, and today I noticed a flip card at the table indicating what pie choice meant regarding your personality. My favorite pies are blueberry ("likeable, friendly, and a leader") and Chocolate Cream ("strong, addictive, and high-strung"). Probably not too far off the mark!

As Owen built a tower with the grape jelly packs I jotted down all 20 choices and their traits ... leave a comment with your favorite pie and I'll let you know what it says about you according to Baughers! To get the fun started, Mom - your favorite (mince meat) means you are "traditional and talented". Good, huh?!


Baughers also has a playground on the property and much to Owen's delight an old, real tractor as well as this one. Sorry for the picture quality - taken with my phone.

20 comments:

Nana said...

Hi Jodi,

I also love cherry pie and black raspberry pie. What does Baugher's have to say about those????? Thanks for the fun pictures from your circus trip on the last blog. The first one of Owen shows such anticipation!! He looks so excited. Glad you had a wonderful trip. Love, MOM

Jodi said...

Mom -

Cherry pie - "sweet with a hidden wild side, longs for passion". Hmmm, that's a fun one!

They don't have black raspberry, but red raspberry is "dreamer with high standards" and blackberry is "overachiever, confident, but truly does not want to be in charge".

OK - whose next??? Kris?

Nanny said...

Nanny likes pumpkin pie (with plenty of whipped cream)... and also pecan pie... but my favorite is your little 'sweetie pie' Owen...

Kris said...

I like chocolat cream pie, apple pie and pumpkin pie. Go...

Jodi said...

Nanny - very cute answer but I can only give you Baugher's feedback on the actual pies : )

Pumpkin "sharp-tongued, comical, does not worry about the future". Hmmm, all the whipped cream you like on top must sweeten that up a lot!

Pecan "has rich tastes, always seeking more from life".

Are you sure you don't like Peanut Butter "kind-hearted, creative, content, family oriented"??

Jodi said...

Kris - see post for Chocolate Cream (me too!) and comment for Nanny for pumpkin.

Apple - "wholesome, patriotic, sentimental, not very adventurous".

What do you think?

Nanny said...

I think their 'pie'logic is a bit off, at least for me... it's more about the calories and sugar according to my 'ap-pie-tite'.

maria said...

My favs are peanut butter and key lime. I saw the peanut butter explanation but what about the key lime?

Kris said...

I think the pie logic is very off, at least the chocolate and pumpkin.

Jodi said...

Maria - no Key Lime, but in keeping with a citrus feeling, how about Lemon Meringue "energenic, bright, opinionated"!

Nanny and Kris - sorry you don't like your pie-files! Have to agree they don't seem to really fit you ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi...this looks like fun. I just love all pies, but as I think about it...I love them because of the crust. My guess is that "crust" isn't covered in Baugher's feedback. Am not sure what loving all pies says about me, but I'm happy with "me". love, pam

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for this place! You had me at corn & apple fritters! I am with you on the Chocolate pie (sounds like a first born trait)! Got anything for coconut cream pie! What fun! Kim

Kim said...

My favorite Baugher's pie is coconut custard! But I also love their apple fritters, breakfast platters, homemade ice cream...and delicious milkshakes (made from aforementioned homemade ice cream)! It's such a wonderful family place and a real institution around here!

Kim said...

Oh my gosh... how could I forget...I also love their dinner rolls!

Jodi said...

Pam - I think your pie-file would be "a little bit of all the good stuff on a nice even base".

Kim (cousin) - nothing specifically for coconut cream, but let's go with the Kim (friend) mentioned Coconut Custard "witty, loves to be in front of an audience" for you. I'd also add "very sweet and slightly nutty"!

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've gained weight just reading the comments!! My favorite is elderberry, which unless you have lived in farm county you probably never heard of them. Haven't been able to find them at farmers' markets since I left Western PA years ago. Baugher's is definetly a place Rich would like. Aunt Cathy

Jodi said...

Aunt Cathy - sorry, no elderberry. Is it at all like blueberry? That's a good pie-file for you!

Next time you visit we are making a trip to Baugher's!

Maureen Powers said...

Oh, my goodness. Here I am, trying to lose weight, and you're talking about apple fritters and pies! I love apple pie a la mode, but had to laugh at the description. I'm definitely patriotic and sentimental...but wholesome? Why, sure (I think)! And I'm not sure what to think about not being adventurous. LOL

What a fun post! I had to smile when I read about the drug interactions conversation you were eavesdropping on. LOL

Jodi said...

Hi Maureen! Maybe you are more of a French Apple pie gal - "embraces change, goal-oriented". Or perhaps it's the ice cream added to the apple pie that make sit true for you : )

Susan C. said...

Pumpkin pie is a fav, but so is a chocolate satin pie. The pumpkin pie def. doesn't really seem to fit me though.