November 22, 2010

The Ring's The Thing!

Many (a few too many) years ago when I was a college sophomore, I purchased my class ring by happening upon the Josten's display at the bookstore one day. After happily considering myriad options for stones, symbols, initials, etc., I selected a gold signet ring topped by an onyx engraved with Penn State's crest, and bought it by sending it home C.O.D.

Not completely educated on what exactly "cash on delivery" meant, I was a bit surprised to receive a call from my (slightly) upset mother a few weeks later, but that was it - I got my ring, wore it for the remainder of my college days, and retired it to my jewelry box when the onyx chipped.

I think it's fair to say Cearra's class ring experience tops mine.

Junior Dads Weekend was conceived at Mary Baldwin in 1969 as a way to recognize the day juniors receive their college rings. The main event is a formal ball where students invite a special family member to present them with their rings under a lighted arch. The entire weekend is dedicated to celebrating the role of the whole family in supporting a successful young collegiate woman.

At the pre-ball brunch (which Cearra helped plan as a member of the Junior Dads committee), she surprised her mom and I with special tokens of her appreciation for our love and encouragement - her mom received a silver pendant etched with Mary Baldwin's crest and I got a darling little silver squirrel for my charm bracelet (faithful readers of the blog will recall that the squirrel is MBC's mascot; it's also the animal a fellow student once compared me to, saying I was always "fun and frisky". I think it was meant to be a compliment).

Cearra selected a white gold, amethyst (purple is her class color) and diamond band as her ring, and had Bob participate in the ceremony, during which they both held back happy tears. Her mom, Curt and I looked on proudly from the audience. A dessert buffet and dance followed where we were pleased to meet several of her friends and her advisor, who went on and on about what a wonderful student, teaching assistant, and young woman Cearra is (of course we knew that!).

And so, on to a few pictures ...


Cearra and her roomie Jacqueline at the brunch


Cearra and Curt pre-ball


Under the arch


Father/daughter dance


Love this picture


Cearra and her advisor (and big fan!)

Meanwhile, at Camp Nanny, Owen had a fabulous time eating all his favorite foods, watching movies in bed, building a gingerbread house with Aunt Maria and Uncle Todd, going to Sunday school with Hannah (and getting in a quick visit with Pap), and visiting Alan's farm for the chance to get up close and personal with horses, barn cats, a dog named Blue, and tractors! Came home with a big duffel bag of new toys too, including a John Deere combine and a Bobcat skid steer - woohoo! Thank you all for making his weekend equally fabulous.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cearra looks very pretty and grown up in her gown. Great picture with Bob. Hard to believe she is a junior. Shocked Owen sat in a non John Deere tractor (two non John Deere tractors)!!!!

Aunt Cathy and Uncle Rich

NANA said...

Looks like everyone had a wonderful weekend. C looks so pretty (and grown-up) and Bob looks so handsome!! Owen certainly had a great weekend with Nanny,Todd and Maria,too. Hope your Thanksgiving went well. Love to all. Mom and Dad