August 12, 2011

A Fine Tradition Continues

As a kid I had several hermit crabs. I distinctly remember flying home with a few that I'd plucked from the beach in St. Croix; and another, Tinkerbell, use to be allowed to crawl across the kitchen table after dinner, causing much laughter as she tracked through the Catalina dressing lid.

When Cearra was younger and we went to the Jersey shore* for vacation, I loved taking her to any of the numerous boardwalk shops that kept huge wire cages of crabs and letting her pick her own new pet.

This summer when Owen and I traveled to Sunset Beach, his friend Jackson got a hermit crab and all the kids adored it, giggling as it side-stepped across the bed and holding their breaths with excitement as it rested in their hands.

Yesterday I decided the time had come to continue the fine hermit crab tradition, so Owen and I went to PetSmart after camp to pick one out. Fifty dollars later, Owen is the very proud and happy owner of ... three very spoiled and well accessorized hermit crabs.


Introducing:


JACKSON (named for his friend, who also has a new hermit crab named Owen!)


OWEN


POP (short for lollipop - can you guess how he got his name?)


Now that you've met the boys, can you please do me a favor and say a little prayer that they hang around for awhile??

*A quick note: the Jersey shore I grew up going to and loving (Sea Isle City, Stone Harbor, Avalon) was nothing like the recent show of the same name. My Jersey shore was - and is - a pretty, quiet place for families to vacation. I consider that show to be the end of civilization. Just saying.

1 comment:

Nanny/Mom said...

What an exciting and new addition(s) to the Mechem home. I have several 'Hermit Crab Adventures' I could share with you... I believe one is still living with Bobby's grandfather!

I know 'Owen' will be the perfect, conscientious crab owner.

Perhaps this will be his favorite pet/toy of the year, because I'd love to paint 'Owen the Crab'! He sure is an interesting 'model'. Love Nanny