November 26, 2012

Angel Cat

She first came to our house via my sister's heart, but by the time she left she had forever secured a home in ours. Known to many as "the big cat", she was gentle and sweet - oh, so very sweet. And yes a bit quirky too, just like her long tail that curled and looped into a question mark when she was happy.

Remy loved to meet at us the door when we came home, she loved to be brushed and petted and played with. She tolerated Owen's ministrations and manhandling wonderfully - in fact, I think she rather fancied him. She also loved to "steal" his stuffed animals and lay on them. Happily, Owen never minded sharing. Still, she slept beside me most nights, curled up in a comforting cushion of contentment. 

She was plush, and beautiful, and sometimes a bit bossy once she learned she did not, in fact, have to stay upstairs. She was loud and chatty and liked to be where the action was. We learned to keep plants and bows and ribbon far away from her - there was not much Remy liked better than chewing up those things which were not good for her. And she certainly never met a catnip toy or can of tuna she didn't like.

A week ago tonight, following a very fast turn in the kidney and pancreatic problems she'd been having since May, I had to say good-bye. I stroked her head and sobbed as she left us. I miss you Remy, my silly, stuffed-animal loving big girl. I miss you.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi - I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a furry child ... and she was such a sweetie! Merlin & Polly are sending you purrs & kisses. Erin

Kris said...

Thank you for taking such good care of Remy. She was such a loveable ball of fluff.

Anonymous said...

what an appropriate title for this post...in many ways they are all "angel cats"...they watch over us and never ask for much...our lives are much fuller for having them. your post is a beautiful tribute to remy. much love to you jodi...pam