October 19, 2013

The One of Shells, Furniture and Watches


Today, we have been married 17 years! Woo-hoo! The gifts for this anniversary are shells, furniture or watches (who made this stuff up?).


But ... let's be honest here; it hasn't always been easy. I don't believe any marriage can be that has to weather serious illness and upheaval and raising children and all the other stresses of life. Bob and I certainly aren't perfect; we sometimes annoy, frustrate, anger, even hurt each other. And it seems that whenever I begin to think, "aha, we've got this - our marriage is GREAT!", something comes along to once again upset the apple cart. Perhaps that's God's way of reminding me to stay humble and to keep working.

Yet we are both committed to the vows we made on that October day. I think a lasting marriage is largely about just "keeping on", having each other's backs, and trying to improve one's own flaws while forgiving your partner's imperfections.

In that spirit, I want to share with you all the wonderful qualities Bob brings to our marriage and my life; and some of the many reasons I love him and look forward to the next 17 years!

Bob has one of the kindest, biggest hearts I've ever known; and that is huge to me. He goes above and beyond to give people second chances and help them out with his time, energy and money. If you are his friend, family, co-worker, or heck, the guy stranded on the side of the road, he will do just about anything to help you.

Since the day he first proudly introduced me to her, Bob has willingly shared parenting Cearra with me. Being a step anything isn't easy, but he's always included me, rejoicing in all the good times and hanging on though the rough spots.

Together we chased the dream of our son halfway around the world (twice). Doing so caused him some deep emotional pain, but he persevered because he believed in the love that would come from our journey.

Despite his protests, I know he really does love the cats!

Although he didn't have the best dad growing up, he has become a wonderful father to our kids. While sometimes Cearra rolls her eyes at his declarations of affection, she has no doubt he loves her unconditionally. And while Owen shows no signs of being the natural athlete he was growing up, Bob gets outside and plays catch with him with enthusiasm and patience.

Bob has always worked so hard to provide for us. Yes, sometimes I resent the late nights at the office, the missed occasions, the near constant calls and texts. But I am more proud of him for building a strong, thriving, well-respected business and allowing me the blessing of staying home to raise Owen. I could never thank him enough for that.

He is our rock. Through illness, tragedy, uncertainty - he does everything in his power to take care of me, Cearra and Owen.

Family is number one for him. He loves and honors his mother, and respects and appreciates my parents (as my mom has commented, she knows she sometimes drives him crazy but he would never, ever say anything to her!). He loves his nieces and nephews and has a great time playing with them.

Of course it doesn't hurt that Bob wakes up smiling, sings in the shower, makes me laugh with his goofy antics, lets me make interior design decisions, sends flowers, and teaches kids of all ages to fish. And I still think he's a hottie!

Happy Anniversary Bob. I loved you then, I love you now, I'll love you into our future.

1 comment:

Maria said...

So beautiful! Happy Anniversary.