July 14, 2007

Happy Birthday Owen!

Owen at 4 months - love at first sight

Owen at 6.5 months - our first official visit

Owen at one! What a cutie!

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. - Kristi Larson

Our children are not ours because they share our genes...they are ours because we have had the audacity to envision them. That, at the end of the day...or long sleepless night, is how love really works.- Unknown


One year ago today, in a small town in Kazakhstan, our future changed forever. Bob, Cearra and I had no way of knowing, but as we drove to the Jersey shore for our annual vacation our family grew with the birth of a 5 lb, 7 oz boy ... Owen.

From the moment we saw him, we knew. We knew that although at the time the pain and frustration and waiting had seemed a very crooked path, God had actually been leading us straight to Owen the entire way. I held him in my arms, and I saw in his big brown eyes and calm smile that he too knew he was our son.

I'm sure that today especially his birth mother thinks of him. I hope with all my heart that she is at peace with her decision and that she can sense he is healthy, and happy, and very, very loved. No words could ever thank her enough for the amazing gift she has given us.

And Owen is the greatest gift. He makes me laugh, he fills my heart with joy, he helps me be a better person. I love to hear him giggle, or watch him explore and learn new things. Every moment of every day I am thankful that I am his mom, that Bob is his dad, that Cearra is his sister, and that he (and we) are blessed with so many amazing friends and loving family.

One year ago today I didn't know that July 14th would be one of the most important days of our lives; today I can't believe our baby is already a year old! We want to thank you all for the support you have given us throughout Owen's first year, and we are thrilled to be able to continue to share his life with you.

We also want to wish Owen's fellow hamsters James (today too!) and Garrett (July 15th) a very happy first birthday and send our love to them and their parents!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Owen! Time really flies!

Anonymous said...

Jodi,

Your comments truly celebrate all children as they should be celebrated, appreciated and loved. I believe your words make all mothers...young and old alike take a minute from their busy lives to say "thank you" for the children that are gifts in each of their lives. Pam

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday to the cutest kid in Cliveden Reach.

Hugs,

GiGi