January 17, 2008

It's Love





Another adoptive family currently in the process reported that the director of the baby house in their city told them the number of babies placed for adoption has decreased recently. She was very pleased about this as it might mean that economic conditions/life is improving in Kazakhstan, allowing birth mothers (and fathers) to be able to raise their children rather than place them for adoption. Of course for families like ours this is a mixed blessing, but it is a good thing for the children and the country.

It also makes me ponder (not for the first time) how Owen will feel about being adopted. I realize that it's likely he will at times feel a loss over not knowing his birth mother or any blood relatives. We expect that one day he will look at us and his extended family and have conflicted emotions about not looking like any of us; not sharing the same cultural background. And I wonder if he will ever resent us for taking him from his birth country. It can sometimes be scary to think of these things, but they are issues all adoptive families face, and we'll do our best to navigate them (fortified by the knowledge we've gained from books, our social worker, and fellow families) as they occur.

But, for right now, life with Owen is very, very sweet. And oh, those moments ... when he smiles mischievously and "tackles" his daddy; when he comes to me for hugs and kisses if he's fallen; when he runs to the door at night when I say "Daddy's home!"; when he gives us kisses and giggles and reaches for us; when he lays his head on my shoulder and snuggles in. In these moments I know without a doubt - and without complication or question - he loves us. We are his comfort, his safe place, his play time and his happiness. I hope we always are.

The pictures today are from our visit with Nana and Pop-pop and Great-Nana P.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am all choked up just writing this because those thoughts have been on my mind too. She is my daughter. My forever daughter. My greatest long time dream is to be able to rock my beautiful Asian-eyed grandchildren to sleep and to hear, "Look Grandma!" not just once a year, but all the time. I just hope that as she grows and learns about who she is, I will always be her Mama. Her Forever Mama. And most importantly, that she will still want me in her life.