February 26, 2008

The Kid is Alright - Part II


Clean and combed, all ready for bed


Ready to welcome the new day! (and some serious bed head!)*

The speech therapist (Jennifer) came to the house yesterday, and after asking me a bunch of questions and playing with Owen (including asking him to point to the animals in one of his picture books and being impressed when he got them all correct) she determined he's in the 22-24 month range for comprehensive language and the 15-17 month range for expressive language. So ... he doesn't qualify for any continuing therapy and she thinks he's doing just fine!

She'll check in again by phone in about 60 days just to get an update, but Jennifer believes he's just a late talker. He's babbling, he understands everything, and he's making all the "important" sounds. Like everyone who meets Owen, she noted his happy, content and laid back demeanor. In fact, his personality - and the fact that I pretty much anticipate his needs and don't really make him ask for anything (yeah, I have to work on that a bit) - are probably behind his delay.

So she left me with a few good tips, and more importantly the peace to stop worrying and just let Owen develop at his own pace. And oh yeah, I'm pretty sure he pointed out the car window today and said a new word, "truck". He does love his things with wheels!

*Yep, he is always this happy in the morning - seeing that face almost makes a morning person out of me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing that smile in the morning would start anyone's day in a positive way. You are so blessed to be greeted that way each morning!

Enjoy Owen's "sounds" soon they will turn into lots of "what's that" and ''whys"!

Love, Uncle Rich & Aunt Cathy

Anonymous said...

And don't forget "what doing" and "NOOOOOOOOOO". I think those are two of Samantha's favorites.

Love,
Kris

Anonymous said...

I guess we have to go with he will talk when he is ready and have the ear plugs close by when he won't shut up...

I miss my little buddy!

GiGi

Anonymous said...

I write this while smiling Jodi. I have, and had the same worries with all three of the boys, and before you know it, you'll have to laugh at yourself b/c Owen will be talking so much you'll forget about your concerns. He'll become the parrot that Ty is now and you'll worry that he'll say something that will embarrass you out in public.

Anonymous said...

sorry, i forgot to sign my entry.

Kelli