February 18, 2008

Practicing Silence






Last week Owen and I were strolling along when he caught the attention of a young woman who enthusiastically deemed him "sooooo cute!" She then quickly added, "he looks just like you!"

Now, the obvious aside, I'll admit to being pretty pleased she thought I was good looking enough to have given birth to the adorable little one toddling along beside me, and of course I love all comments on Owen's cuteness, so I gave her a big smile and a thank you.

What I did not give her was any hint that he was adopted. Not because I'm not proud of that fact - on the contrary, when we first came home I frequently found myself extolling the wonders of adoption and Kazakhstan to strangers in the grocery store, the post office, Target, the doctor's office, ... well, you get the picture.

I love sharing the blessings of adoption, and I'm fascinated by the culture and history of Owen's birth country. I think it's amazing that we went half way around the world to find a child so perfect for us. But I've also realized that it's really not my story to tell. That right belongs to Owen.

He may not want his entire first grade class to know he was born in Kokshetau, he may not feel it's necessary for everyone to hear information about how he came to be a Mechem (or he may be as proud as I am). Of course it will be a few years before he can actually choose what and who to tell, but I thought I better start practicing now. After all, it's not always easy for me to stay silent!


Today's pics: First - He likes to drag things out of the pantry; this time he sat on a cooler and got stuck! Second - being his usual happy self. Third - opening a Valentine's Day present from Nanny - thanks Nanny!! Fourth - playing peek a boo with Sadie (this is why it takes me a while to get laundry done!) Last - reaching for the camera on his close-up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so pricless, as are all of them. We look on the blog daily to see what is new in Owen's world. It's hard to believe that he has been here almost a year!

Love, Uncle Rich & Aunt Cathy

Angela said...

Owen really is a cutie! It looks like you have your hands full! Oh, the joys of having a toddler son! I was also the same about telling the world about Kazakhstan when we got home. You are right, it's not our story to tell. Will be interesting to what our kids decide to say or not say when the time comes. :)