March 9, 2008

Family Matters




My Nana and Uncle Tom have left this earth, but because they lived their lives with faith and joy and love for others, their spirit lives on and our hearts begin to slowly heal. During the services I was very aware of how blessed I was to have had these special people in my life and of how deeply I love my family. We are there for each other, we care about each other, we are dedicated to carrying on.

At one point I stood in a little circle with my cousins Beverly and Scott, the three of us holding hands. And I was reminded once again of how important it is that we stay connected as a family. To pass down stories, keep traditions alive, share wisdom - in short, to keep our family strong.

One year ago last Friday, Bob and I brought the newest member of our family home (oh my how he's changed!). It was a long, tiring, sometimes agonizingly frustrating trip of three airports, two planes and more than 24 hours. But pushing the cart loaded with our luggage through the doors of Dulles' Immigration Center and introducing Owen to our waiting family (and friends) was one of the happiest moments of my life, in part because we were growing and continuing our family. Not just for Bob, Cearra and I, but for all of us - our cousins, aunts, uncles, grandmothers and grandfathers on both sides.

I hear the happy babbling that signifies the next generation just awoke from his nap, so I'll sign off for now. On behalf of my family, thank you all for your heartfelt comments, your calls and cards. Cherish each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi, What a beautiful tribute to our family! You have written what all of us feel about family and keeping the bonds close. Thanks for bringing that beautiful little boy into our family circle. Love ya, Mom and Dad