March 1, 2008

Letter to My Nana


A life lived with beauty, grace and joy ... Helen Virginia Pisle
July 8, 1917 - February 29, 2008


My beloved Nana passed away in her sleep Friday night. I am so thankful that I got to see her two days earlier, to hold her hand, to tell her once again how much I love her. Although my heart is breaking and I can barely see through my tears, I'm happy she's at peace now and I know we will all be okay. I was writing the following letter to her, and although I never got the chance to send it, she already knew every word.

My Dearest Nana:

I have always known how very lucky I am to have you as my grandmother. From the time I was a little girl fascinated by your glamorous vanity table and colorful tubes of lipstick, you have been my stylish, artistic, beautiful hero.

I have so much respect for you and the way you've lived your life. I always thought you could do anything. I remember visiting you in your office in Harrisburg and being so proud of your career achievements. You spoke with honesty and wisdom and wit - even if it didn't always make you (temporarily) the most popular person in the room. Your beautiful paintings graced the walls of the comfortable, welcoming home you created. You brought light and laughter to everyone you encountered - your church family, your friends, your foster daughters, your bowling league.

Over the years you've taught me much - how to be an intelligent, questioning person and still have faith; how to be a strong woman but still be gentle; how to graciously accept others' gifts while sharing my own; and how to open wide my heart and home. Your support and example played a huge part in bringing Owen home; I'm grateful you got to know him. In so many ways you have helped me become who I am and are part of the life I have created. And I hope, as I always have, that I've made you proud.

We've had so much fun, haven't we? Whether playing cards, shopping for hours (no one else could keep up with us!), or solving all the world's problems together, I've cherished all the times we've shared. Every vacation was made better by your presence, every holiday was sweeter with you around, every family gathering complete with you there.

Nana, I know that someday your journey here on earth will end and you'll join Pop-Pop in heaven. That will be a really hard day for me and all of us who love you, but I know I'll have another angel watching over me for all the days of my life. I'll miss you so much, but the love I have for you will be stronger than the sadness. I promise to treasure our memories and share them with Owen as he grows.

Thank you for being a faithful wife, a loving mother, a caring sister, a generous friend, and most of all, the best grandmother.

I love you forever,
Jodi

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
What a beautiful tribute to your Nana! I know that she loved you so much and she will be watching over you and all of us forever. She was so proud of you and was thrilled to see you on Wed. accompanied, of course, by our darling litte boy!! She and Dad made a wonderful family and we are so blessed to be a part of it. Try not to dwell on your sadness, but rejoice in the peace Nana has finally found and so deserves. Love, MOM

Angela said...

Beautifully written! I'm glad you were able to finish it. You were blessed to have such a wonderful woman and example in your life. Hold onto those memories and smile when you think of her. My heart and prayers go out to you. Hugs, Angela

The Neeleys said...

Jodi,
I am so very sorry for your loss. I remember Nana well and think your letter to her is just beautiful. I am praying for you all...

-Kristine

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute for a very special lady! We were blessed to know your Nana and to share so many good times with her. Her loving sprit continues through her daugthers, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Love, Uncle Rich & Aunt Cathy

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
I am so sorry for your loss. Your letter to Nana was beautiful. You truly have wonderful memories of a very special woman. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Kelli

Susan C. said...

Jodi,
You have my crying now. Your letter is simply amazing and I'm honored to be able to read it. You have an amazing ability to write in a way the brings us there, right by your side. Which, I wish I was there to hold your hand.
-Susan

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter and tribute, Jodi. You have some very special memories to cherish and, as I have said before, it is so wonderful that your family always makes a way to spend valuable time together despite the geographical distance. I know how much it must mean to you that you were able to spend time with your Nana last week. I was very sad to hear about her passing and have some memories of my own from over the many years!
You are all in my prayers, Courtnay

Maureen Powers said...

Jodi,

We are very sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers. You are gifted in your way with words, and it's very evident how much you care for your Nana. Thank you for letting us take a peek into your heart and letting us see such a wonderful lady that you love and admire.

Love,
Maureen