August 29, 2008

Cearra is a College Freshman!




I arrived at Penn State waaayyyy back when with not much more than a comforter, a few suitcases of clothes, and an illegal mini hot pot contraption. Yesterday Cearra and Sha claimed their place at Mary Baldwin by filling their dorm room with a TV, a DVD player, two laptops, a fan, a free-standing jewelry cabinet, two printers/scanners/copiers, two refrigerators, warehouse size packages of Easy Mac, granola bars and bottled water, and enough clothes, shoes, and beauty products to open a boutique! I think they will be unpacking and organizing for weeks to come (although I have no doubt they will make everything fit and it will all look good).

We had a great time settling them in - getting to know Sha's family, talking with Cearra's academic adviser, getting her books for the first semester (10 books at over $300 for 4 classes - yikes!), enjoying a good dinner at the school's cafeteria, and meeting some of her fellow freshman and hall mates. Owen was a great goodwill ambassador as he very much enjoyed walking into dorm rooms and soliciting high-fives from the other students.

At the end of the day we all hugged and shed a few tears, then watched as Cearra and Sha walked off to their first dorm meeting. I'm so proud and happy for Cearra. I know she is ready for this adventure; I know she will shine. I hope she loves each moment of these days and continues to grow as a woman, a student, a friend, and a leader. And I hope she remembers that no matter how far from "home" she is, she is always encircled with love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bob (Bobby) and Jodi,
What a wonderful 'entry'. Thank you for making her first day such a special one, one that is a 'picture' of what I remember and what it should be for a young lady going off to college. How exciting!! I am sure this experience will also begin to 'shape' Owen's 'vision' of school and family involvement. Thanks too, to all of Cearra's family in PA and Green Bay, for the important part you have all played in helping to shape her into the beautiful (inside and out) lady she is...
I'll need her new address so I can start sending those 'College Care Packages'.
Love, Nanny