January 17, 2009

Yeah for Owen!


Yesterday morning was Owen's first solo Tumblekicks class. He and I have been attending the "Caretaker & Me" version for the past 8 weeks; running around, shooting hoops, playing on gymnastics mats and bouncing on big exercise balls in an overheated room at our town's community center.

Owen enjoyed it, but there was always at least one point during the 45 minutes when he would end up clinging to my legs, holding his arms up in the universal sign for pick me up. As for the music and circle time at the end of each class, well, Owen thought that was all quite frankly a waste of time.

But at two and a half (as of the 14th of this month), Owen had aged out. It was time to go it alone in the "Just Me" class and I was nervous. I knew he'd be the youngest, and most likely the smallest. Would he cry as soon as I walked out the door? Refuse to participate? Disrupt the whole class? Be really and truly upset? There are no windows to look into the room; I'd be sitting in the lobby just outside the door with the other moms, listening carefully for my baby's wails of "Mom-meee".

So ... with much trepidation, we went. I walked him in and introduced him to his new teacher. I took his shoes off and told him to have fun and that I'd be back after class. I kissed him and headed out as the crying started. Miss Susan (bless her heart) swooped in and picked him up and within two minutes of the door closing, Owen was crying no more!

Afterward, Miss Susan told me he did great; he played along and especially loved the tunnels so she had the kids all play at that a little longer than planned. He was definitely happy to see me, rushing over with his hand out in front so I could wipe off the stamp they get at class' end (I forgot to mention that little Mr. OCD hates that part). But I think he was proud of himself too - and I know I was very, very proud of him!

Remember, no windows into the room so no pictures from the class; this is a cute one of Owen enjoying his tunnel at home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi,
PopPop and I are so proud of the little man! I know you were worried, and, believe me, it will not be the last time, but the O came through with flying colors. Hurray!!!!! Give him a big hug and kiss from Nana and PopPop. Love ya, MOM

Anonymous said...

I think 2 and a half is young to be as independent as Owen is. He has to be very comfortable and secure with his Mom and Dad to enjoy himself and have a good time. He knows that you are not far away. What good parenting Jodi. Love, Pam

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Owen! Too bad for the Eagles AND the Ravens ... : (

Erin

Susan C. said...

This parenting thing never gets easy does it? After all, wasn't it just yesterday he was placed in your arms?! =)