May 22, 2009

Thank You for Your Service






I am a big fan of our military. I admire the long-standing traditions, the patriotism, the values upheld. Fly-overs make my heart beat faster (and is it OK to say I think guys in dress whites are a nice sight too?). Most of all I greatly admire the sacrifices our service men and women willingly make to help preserve the liberties and freedoms we enjoy.

So it was with great anticipation that I attended yesterday's graduation and commissioning ceremony at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Bob, Cearra and I joined a stadium full of family and friends to honor the men and women who have chosen to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" (taken from the oath of office).

Under a brilliant blue sky and scorching sun we (and especially his mom Chris, dad Jeff, brother Ben and sister Allison) cheered loudly as Bob's cousin, Andrew J. Cornelius, shook hands with President Obama and received his diploma. We are so proud of him - his dedication, his perseverance, his love of country. We are thankful for him and for his classmates as they begin their careers in the US Armed Forces.

This Memorial Day weekend I am again reminded of those who have always stood ready to protect our great country, and I thank them for their service. God bless them all, and God bless America.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all support and endorse your tribute to Andrew and the entire military family

Dad

Susan C. said...

You know how much I support and respect those in the military, but your word say it so much better, as always!!