May 6, 2009

Thoughts from a Mom for Mother's Day


With Mother's Day right around the corner I've been thinking a lot of what being a mother means. The responsibilities, the privileges, the (occasional) tears, the laughter, and the overwhelming love and joy.

I feel so blessed to be Owen's mom - such an incredible little guy! I adore spending each day with him; helping him learn new skills, seeing his amazement in things big and small, receiving his hugs and kisses. He makes me laugh; he makes me better; he makes me happy.

Being a mother brings a lot of responsibility too. Teaching right from wrong, good from bad. Raising an individual who will be a benefit to our family, our society, our world.

And while a parent's ultimate job is to prepare a child to make their own way in the world - give them wings - this mom can't help but dream of the future she hopes for Owen ...

Number one, I want him to be truly, deeply happy in his life and to have and appreciate the things that matter most - health, family, friends.

I want him to be strong in his values but tolerant of other's beliefs and choices.

I want him to always respect and be kind to his elders, all animals, and our earth.

I want him to graduate from Penn State. Oh ... alright ... fine, I want him to graduate from any college. As long as it's in Pennsylvania. And it's school colors are blue and white. And it's mascot is a Nittany Lion.

I want him to find a career that provides him financial freedom and personal satisfaction (if that job happens to be a veterinarian, well, all the better).

I want him to find at least one activity/hobby that allows his creativity to bloom.

I want him to appreciate dark chocolate, early REM albums, road trips, beach vacations, a great defense in football, and the quiet joy of a good book.

I want him to travel and experience different places and people.

I want him to be proud of his Kazakh heritage and his American citizenship.

I want him to be able to live in a world of peace.

And oh yeah, I want him to always love his mother and know how very much she loves him.

That's not too much to hope for, right??

4 comments:

Nanny said...

With a Mom like you, Jodi, no, that's not too much to hope for.
Happy Mother's Day, love you, Nanny/Mom

Kim said...

Happy Mother's Day to a great Mom (and friend and neighbor)!
Kim

NANA said...

Jodi,
So glad we were able to spend Mother's Day together with you, Owen and Cearra. You are a wonderful, thoughtful and fun Mother and Step-Mother. Dad and I are so proud of you and your mothering skills. I know you will do your best to see that both kids are happy, productive adults. Love you all. MOM

Susan C. said...

Owen will certainly have all of that with you as his Mother, guiding him!

Isn't it funny on even on Mother's Day, we focus so much on our children. I guess that is just being a Mom. :)