November 11, 2009

"Mommy, are you smile?"

Three years ago today Bob and I were led into a small tiled room and there, in the first crib on the right, lay our son. That incredible day was to me the birth of our family of four; the fulfillment of a promise between Bob and I; the joy and hope that God had always planned for us all; and the beginning of the rest of our lives with Owen.


I think this is an appropriate post for today ...


It happens with some frequency now, I look at Owen and see the young man I imagine he will become. A glimpse of the plump of baby cheeks yeilding to swoop and hollow cheekbones ... the curve of shorn hair on the nape of his neck ... a knowing glint in those beautiful brown eyes. In that glance, my heart both soars and runs for cover.

Meeting Cearra at the age Owen is now, and attending her high school graduation mere months later (which is truly at times how fast the ensuing years felt), did somewhat prep me for how quickly the growing years pass.

So I find myself cherishing each small moment. I try not to rush Owen for fear I'll miss some wonderful 3-year old discovery he wants to share. We move through the days primarily at his pace, cuddling in our big bed before rising and enjoying breakfast with a side of giggles.

As much as possible errands are run with fun and discovery in mind. Sears is not just a place for small appliances - it's also a tractor wonderland - and the grocery store is full of color, shapes, and live lobsters to watch. We like the duck pond, and the John Deere dealership, and we often play outside until the sun starts to set.

I remind myself often to stop whatever other noise fills my day and just "be" with Owen. To get down on his level and play cars. To paint, or play guitar, or read a favorite book again.

Oh sure, somedays I'm better at this whole thing than others (and I'm never as good as I wish I were). Some days my patience is short or I'm tired or have a headache. But I try. Because as Owen often asks me "Mommy, are you smile?". And I do every day, for I am so very blessed and I am enjoying every moment.

1 comment:

Susan C. said...

Beautiful.
Beautiful post.
Beautiful little boy.
Beautiful man he'll become.
Beautiful Mommy.