March 24, 2010

Observations from This Mom


Walking to the car Thursday after school, Owen sees one of his classmates with her mom. He yells out "Bye Lily! Have a good day! I love you!".

I'm reminded once again how social our little guy has become. Not too long ago, he wouldn't have said anything without my prompting, and certainly not declarations of cheer and affection.

We are outside after a recent rain storm when Owen notices all the worms on the sidewalk. I tell him they are going back home to the grass, and he promptly squats down and encourages them "It's OK little wormy, come on little wormy".

And I'm reminded how compassionate and kind our little guy has become. He takes good care of our cats and greets dogs we meet by calmly holding out his hand and asking them to lick it. He loves all animals, and I'm so proud of that.

Sitting at the kitchen table last night playing with new flash cars. We get to a picture of a crossing walk sign (that little white figure of a man). Owen is momentarily stumped, but then says with a smile, "bathroom"!

And I'm reminded once again how observant our little guy is getting. The connections (even those that are a little off!) he now makes on a daily basis never fail to impress me.

Yesterday at gymnastics I watch from the balcony as he does everything Miss Donna asks him to do, moving from warm-ups to cartwheels to the balance beam calmly and without having to be told more than once. Occasionally he looks up to me, waves, and with a big smile yells "Hi Mommy, I love you!".

And I'm reminded once again how independent our little guy has become. When we first started Mommy and Me gymnastics he had to be directed every step of the way and wasn't too sure he liked any of it.

This friendly, smart, mature little man amazes me everyday. As parents we are blessed to be able to witness our children's development; I never forget that and I never fail to delight in each new step. At the same time, the milestones make my heart ache a little - it's hard to believe it's all going so fast. Our little boy is growing up.

4 comments:

Susan C. said...

Beautiful post. I too am amazed at how far our boys have come. I can't wait to get Owen together with Jack.

Anonymous said...

Owen is a sweetie pie that's for sure and he is so very handsome too. Tell him good job on the flash cards. I would have guessed wrong too, we don't have those things around here...

Maureen Powers said...

You've articulated exactly what I've been noticing and feeling about James, too. The boys are growing up WAY too fast! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nanny said...

I love the post Jodi, but I know what an important part you, Bobby and Cearra play in 'teaching Owen'... found this quote and thought it fit your role as Mom:

"When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang up my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I knew that little things are special things.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I LOOKED....and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

Love you all, have a blessed Easter,
Nanny/Mom