September 23, 2012

ResuME

I'm updating my resume.

No, not due to any overwhelming desire on my part to rejoin the formal workforce; in fact, in the 3 weeks Owen has been in school I've found a somewhat peaceful rhythm of spending time with my fellow kindergarten mom Karen, running errands with ease, volunteering to be lunch and classroom mom, puttering about the house (including steam cleaning 6 rooms worth of carpet, which I've found to be oddly satisfying), and baking batch upon batch of oatmeal GORP cookies.

Yet understandably - and largely due to the fact that we are still paying for Cearra's private college education while sending Owen to another private school - Bob would like some help with the household income. A bit of relief after shouldering the sole burden of making our finances work for the past 6 years. I get that, I really do.

It's easy enough to do a quick Google search and wrangle my professional experience into the format hiring managers are preferring these days, and my career has been comprised of enough managerial titles and impressive sounding tidbits (ahem ... "managed a $20 million, multi-year contract", "renegotiated a $13 million contract", "oversaw national and regional marketing contracts to ensure all US offices adhered to company policy and promoted quality throughout the bidding and procurement process", etc.) to garner at least some attention.

But what occurs to me most during this exercise is that while I mainly enjoyed my past roles and I don't think it's off-base to say I was pretty good at what I did, the "position" that isn't bullet-pointed on my CV is far and away my favorite, and the one in which I take most pride. And while no one will expect me to spell it out as such on a resume, here's what I might add to explain what I've been up to since that last Manager title ...

Mother

Key Skills and Attributes:

Communication - proven story reader, knock-knock joke teller, and interpreter of toddler speak. Ability to listen to "mom, momma, mommy" all day, every day, without losing patience (or mind).  Accurately conveyed daily events, schedules and milestones through face to face interactions and social media including facebook and blogger. Conveyed love through words and actions 100% of the time.

Problem Solving - consistently demonstrated effective use of behavioral analysis to both teach positive responses and curtail undesirable behavior. Highly skilled in diversionary tactics and bargaining. Proven ability to multi-task; work late into the night; and determine the source of a child's cry within one to two wails.

Team Player - volunteered to bring expensive and therefore often avoided fruit trays to school events. Served as Team Mom for the (Westminster) White Sox. Increased number of play dates at home by 100%. Willingly sacrificed personal salon services and book store purchases for the greater good of the organization.

Budgeting - dressed members of family in high end clothing at savings of 95% over retail by shopping consignment and thrift. Uncanny ability to locate gently used Ralph Lauren Polo shirts and men's Chaps shorts with tags intact. Invented money saving trips to the SAHM's "zoo" (PetSmart) and "water park" (mall fountain). Founded and managed online store to resell gently used clothing.

Organization - managed sports, school, and social schedule with no missed appointments and reliable on-time performance while successfully avoiding the common pitfall of over scheduling. Executed memorable field trips and family outings with a minimum of melt-downs. Planned fun-for-all parties and events at home office as well as off-site locations.

Main Achievements: 
  • Raising (so far, so good) a happy, healthy kid while having the time of my life. 
  • Smiling and laughing and appreciating my blessings every single day.
  • Knowing with 100% certainty that this is the job I was made for, and one that I want to stay in for the rest of my life.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! :)

Erin

NANA said...

WHAT! NO PICTURES!!!!!! Jodi, every Mother through the ages would appreciate this well articulated description of what a Mother does. Too bad companies don't use these descriptions on resumes. I am so delighted that you have found the same satisfaction in being a stay-at-home Mother as I did. It is not often considered as important as a job in the business world, but to me it is the best AND most important calling in the world. We need more stay-at-home Mothers or Fathers and we need people to learn to live within their means so that can happen for out children.

Sorry, I'll step down off my soapbox not! Love and admire my girls. MOM

Nanny said...

All I can say is WOW, Jodi! and totally agree with your Mom, except I love and admire my boys, and her girls!
Love Nanny

Nala's Mom at the Preserves said...

Jodi, I sooo admire you and your family. You are a sweetie. Your mom did a wonderful job and you are now doing the same.