November 11, 2013

Not My Eyes or Smile, but My Whole Heart

November is ... Native American Heritage Month, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, COPD Awareness Month, National Novel Writing Month, National Blog Posting Month, Alzheimer's Disease Month, American Diabetes Month, Lung Cancer Awareness Month, National Homeless Youth Awareness Month, Crohn's & Ulcerative Colitis Awareness Month, National Pomegranate Month, International Drum Month, National Stomach Cancer Awareness Month, National Prematurity Awareness Month, Sweet Potato Awareness Month, and (whew!) National Pulmonary Hypertension Awareness Month.

But to me, above all else, November is National Adoption Month; and today, November 11th, is the anniversary of the first day we met Owen. 


All month, proud parents in the Kazakhstan facebook group have been posting pictures. "Then" snapshots from the sometimes dizzying days of meeting their soon-to-be sons and daughters in the baby houses and maternity wards, and "Now" photos of beautiful, beaming, clearly loved children; often tagged with the line "look what love can do". Each new post makes me smile, makes my heart swell. I adore seeing the shining faces of these Kazakh kids and even more so delight in the joy I know they bring their parents.

Often times, well meaning folks will comment that Owen is "so lucky we adopted him". And I guess from a purely statistical standpoint, they're correct. Human Rights Watch recently reported that in Russia, of the roughly 15,000 children released from orphanages annually (because they were not adopted and "aged out"), some 10% commit suicide, 30% commit crimes and 40% are unemployed and homeless. I can't imagine the numbers from Kazakhstan are any better. It's heartbreaking.

But the truth that any adoptive parent holds close is that WE are the truly lucky ones. I believe that all children are a gift, and to those of us especially who chased paper and waited for years, who withstood delays and disappointments, who emptied bank accounts and took a flight of faith ... well, there is not a day that goes by that we don't feel blessed by our kids.

Yes, we've given Owen a warm home, nourishing food, a wide network of loving family and friends. But Owen has given me the ultimate gift. He made me a mom. And even as I dreamed and prayed for him, I had no way of really understanding what that meant, how very much that would mean, until that day I finally held him in my arms.



Being Owen's mom has given me a new role - one that I think is the most important on earth - new responsibilities and challenges (and yes, new worries and anxieties)! I've marveled in new experiences and met life long friends through both the journey and in this season of raising him.

Parenting Owen has allowed me to fully understand how much my own mom and dad love me. How their each and every decision was made in my best interest, and how very much they want the best for me.

Owen makes me laugh louder, try harder, believe more. He's such a joy to be around! So many times this year he has made me smile and begin again, even when the pain of the tragedy we face threatens to swallow the light.

Everyday, my son (oh, how I still love to write that word!) makes me see wonder, delight in small things, and cherish the moments. With him I get to relive cherished traditions of my own childhood, and create new ones that I hope he will one day treasure with his children.

Each time he hugs me, or reaches his small hand up to mine on the walk to the bus stop, I am grateful for my blessings. Every night I still gaze in wonder at his sweet sleeping face as I thank God for him. Owen has given me his heart; and I have gladly, joyfully, given him mine. Forever.


So you see, how could anyone ever think that I'm not the lucky one?




2 comments:

Maria said...

You both are so amazing. I'm so thankful for the way God brought you together as a family. The ultimate adoptive Dad sees your heart and I think it makes Him smile.

NANA said...

Jodi, you write so beautifully and echo the thoughts of many mothers, both adoptive and biological. Owen, Cearra, Samantha, Mackenzie and Riley have all been gifts to the whole family. Your words reaffirm the thoughts and blessings your Dad and I felt as we welcomed you and Kristine into our lives so long ago and we are so proud of the wonderful women,mothers, friends, and wives you have become. We love you all. MOM