September 21, 2010

The Cutest Kid in the World


Awwww, the cutest kid in the world!

Oh, I know. I can almost hear you. All you moms saying, "Yes, Owen is cute, but my little (fill in the blank) is really the cutest kid(s) in the world!".

And you are absolutely right.

Because isn't it so true that every mother, upon first seeing her child's face, believes with all her heart that she has been blessed with the most adorable, gosh-darn most beautiful kid EVER? It does not matter one bit if the child in question is jaundice or splotchy or fat or thin or bald or hairy. The child might be on everyone else's list of most likely to never appear in a GAP ad, but in mommy's eyes, well, perfection (how else to explain all those - in my opinion - questionable entries in the GAP model competition?).

Another example ... I was not a cute baby. Nor toddler. Nor school-age child or pre-teen, and I have the pictures to back that up. I didn't possess the Shirley Temple locks, button nose, and huge velvet brown eyes that made people oooh and ahhh over my little sis. But ask my mom, and to this day she will tell you I was a looker. Thanks mom.

Isn't that a wonderful, mysterious thing? Something just clicks inside when we become mothers and I think it's pretty amazing. It's not biological either; upon first glimpsing Cearra peering out from behind Bob's legs I knew she was the most gorgeous child ever. I still feel that way. And the moment I looked down into his crib and saw Owen, my heart easily made room for the two most beautiful children in the world.

So even though I look at Owen every day and know he is the cutest kid in the world, I applaud all you moms for thinking the same of your kiddos, and I think we are all right on target!

1 comment: