September 16, 2010

Rest In Peace Dear Friend

My friend Sherry passed away last week after a short battle with cancer. I was honored that her husband asked me to give an eulogy at her funeral, and hope I expressed the wonderful person she was, and how very much she will be missed.


When Owen first met GiGi

If you are lucky, you’ll meet a person who makes your world a brighter, better place just by being themselves. Someone who wraps you in her love of life and reflects her glow of happiness on you. Someone who gives far more than she ever takes. Someone who always makes you smile.

Someone like Sherry Gist.

So how do we begin to understand why God needed her now, when we still need her? How do we handle the pain and sadness? How do we go on, when she is no longer a phone call, email or facebook post away? When we can no longer feel her hugs or see her smile? When we drive by her house and the candles aren’t lit?

I honestly don’t know. But I do know that I want to celebrate her life. Wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, neighbor and friend Sherry, a woman who:

… never met a stranger, because within minutes of meeting anyone, she made that person feel like a lifelong pal.

… who was the unofficial but widely acknowledged social director, mayor, heart, ambassador and glue of Cliveden Reach.

… who took pride in her gorgeous home - decorating every available surface for Christmas, maintaining the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood – and debating for months over paint colors and granite choices before finishing a kitchen that helped her channel Paula Dean.

… who always looked beautiful and was fond of saying she resembled Heather Locklear, but who was always the first to laugh at herself.

… who was deeply generous and compassionate with friends, and always eager to share her blessings with those she didn’t know - acting as a Christmas elf, donating blood, being on the National Bone Marrow Registry.

Today and everyday I celebrate Sherry, who:

… after 25 years of marriage still had a huge crush on Bruce, and pride in Brent that was immense and constant (even as she recounted stories of the trouble he caused in preschool).

… who was always up for an adventure, or shopping, or lunch, or girls night, or a long dinner at Texas Roadhouse, just as long as she was home in time to be with her two best boys.

… who adored animals, especially her fur kids Brooks and Brody, but was still a little nervous around a 19 lb cat named Remy.

… who supported, encouraged and celebrated the long awaited arrival of a child, and promptly became GiGi to him – now and forever.

… who liked her clothing, and purses, and jewelry and sparkling diamonds; but always knew the greatest treasures on earth were faith and family and friends.

Sherry was joyful, and honest, and funny, and real, and strong, and brave, and loyal.

So how do we say goodbye?

I for one refuse to say goodbye to her. I will hold her forever in my heart. I will retell her stories; I will listen for the echoes of her joyful laughter; I will try to live with the same daily enthusiasm she had. I will remember the peace I always felt in her presence.

I will close my eyes and picture her happily relaxing by her pool, or hanging out with friends on a beach in Jamaica, or in the Outer Banks with family. I will do my best to support Bruce and Brent. I will trust that she is safe in the hands of God and watching over us all. And I will be forever grateful that she called me friend.

I know each of you have your own Sherry stories and memories. Please don’t be afraid to reach out to each other and share them today and in the days to come. We will always miss her, and we will always love her. Rest in peace dear friend.

5 comments:

MOM said...

How beautiful, Jodi. You have me in tears as I read this eulogy to your friend, Sherry. I know that the times I was with Sherry she was always bubbly and so friendly. She stopped by the house once when you and Bob were in Kaz, just to say hello and could she be of help to Cathy and me while we were preparing for your return. She will be missed by all of you who knew her at Cliveden Reach , but I can see that she will always be a fond memory in your hearts.

MOM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MOM said...

OOPS!!!!! I clicked twice. Sorry!

Susan C. said...

Simply beautiful... I don't even know her but am sitting here crying.

Anonymous said...

I've read this post many times now and each time I do I feel a little closer to Sherry, even though I didn't know her. What a wonderful young woman and Jodi, you've shared her with us in a most loving way. Thank you for that. I wish her family and friends some peace in knowing that she will be remembered and cherished within those memories. It sounds as if Sherry lived her life with love and happiness each day...an important lesson for us all. Love, pam