November 26, 2007

O Christmas Tree






Although I'm not sure how it started, it's a family tradition that each year I hang the first ornament on our Christmas tree - a felt donkey that was originally my parents. Mom claims as a child I thought it was ugly, but somehow over the years I became attached to it and they gave it to me when I moved out and had my "own" tree.

This weekend we put up our tree. And right after I placed the donkey we started a new tradition by having Owen hang his own ornament, a felt ram (we also have a felt camel and yurt) we bought him in Kazakhstan. That was pretty special for me. Nana was visiting and helped us decorate the tree too, and it's now giving a beautiful, sparkly glow to the family room.

It's starting to look a lot like Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jodi, Bob and Owen,
Thanks for letting me share in Owen's first Christmas tree decorating experience. The look of awe on that little face when he woke from his nap to see that HUGE tree in his family room was precious beyond words. Owen's ram looks very nice beside your old donkey, Jo! Our grandchildren are the best Christmas gifts we could ask for. Love to all, MOM and DAD