November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Blessings


I'm thankful for many, many things this Thanksgiving ... family and friends; our health; our comfortable home. I'm thankful that Cearra and her boyfriend Curt will be joining us tomorrow, and we will be surrounded by the love and welcome of family for the holiday. The list could go on and on - big things and small - because I know we are truly blessed.

This year, my heart is especially thankful that a little over a year ago Bob and I held hands and took a huge leap together, and in doing so we found our son. I am thankful for Owen's birth mother and for the doctors and nurses who cared for him before we arrived. I am thankful to Kazakhstan for making official what we knew the moment we met him.

Most of all I am thankful for Owen himself - this bundle of cuteness who makes me laugh a hundred times a day. Who claps for himself when he walks backwards or successfully maneuvers a noodle to his mouth with his new found fork skills. Who brings me a book to read and sits peacefully in my lap while I do. This little boy who has brought me more joy than I ever imagined and has forever changed our lives.

And yet while I celebrate, I am aware there are many today in need of blessings. Family members in need of healing from serious illness; friends missing loved ones or worried about a beloved pet. There are people throughout the world who are scared, or lonely, or hungry. There are hundreds of children still waiting for their parents.

This Thanksgiving I will count my blessings and thank my God, and I will ask that others also be blessed. I hope you will join me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mechem family! What a heart-warming post, Jodi, and what a wonderful journal of memories Owen will have when he grows up. I wish you and your family a wonderful and safe holiday.

Anonymous said...

Jodi -
No many could say it better than your words (seriously, write a book!). To add to your list, I'm so thankful to have met you in my journey to Jack. You are one of the blessings I count in my life.
-Susan

Anonymous said...

Jodi...your thoughts are just expressed in such a wonderfully, pertinent way. They make me stop and reflect myself as what I'm thankful for...and of course, as you say, it's family and friends. Looking forward to seeing you all at the beginning of this season of saying "thanks". Pam

Anonymous said...

Besides my two little blessings here at home, I count the blessing of my sweet little nephew. The boy who came into all our lives and brought so much love and joy with him. I also count my blessing that the prayers of my sister and brother-in-law, 2 people who deserve this and so much more, found their son and the happiness of having such a miracle. Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all the blog readers.

Love,
Kris

Anonymous said...

Jodi, We are all thankful you are keeping the blog going, it really brightens my day!

Yes, we have so many blessings to be thankful for. What I'm most thankful for is family and friends, what I'm blessed with is having a very special friend.

A special friend is someone that knows everything will work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end. A special friend is someone that shines a light when the road ahead is dark and scary. A special friend is someone who knows life is not always perfect, but who keeps their head up because they know the good in life will out-weigh the not so good.

Cheers of many blessing to you and your family and thanks for being my special friend.

((((Group Hug)))) and a Happy, Safe Holiday to all us blog readers.

Sherry

Anonymous said...

Dear Jo,Bob,Owen and Cearra,
Dad and I want to add our thanks at this season and all the year for the wonderful young women we have raised and for their great families with whom we share so many wonderful times. We are so proud of both of you and the way that you go about your lives. And, oh by the way, thanks for those wonderful grandkids that we are so fortunate to have. We love you all and wish the best for you. Love, MOM and DAD