November 10, 2008

Birthday Surprises






From a phone call two weeks ago ...

Cearra - "Do you think Dad will be home for his birthday?"

Me - "I hope so; he should be."

Cearra - "I was thinking I'd drive up and surprise him."

Me - "Oh C, there is no gift he'd like more than that!"

So, we set our super secret plans in motion. And at 7:00pm on Friday night, Cearra rang the doorbell, Carvel ice cream cake in hand, to wish her dad a happy birthday! Bob was all smiles - as was Owen (he adores his big sis).

Saturday Nana and Pop-pop came to visit and we decided to take the opportunity to set up the Christmas tree. It's our family tradition to each pick one special ornament to place on the tree first; Cearra chose one of her personalized cheerleading ornaments, we helped Owen find the perfect place for his Kazakh felt ram, and as I've been doing for more years than I can count I hung the incredibly tacky but much loved donkey on the perfect branch. While it is a bit early to be decorating for Christmas, I love having the tree lit up in the evening, and Owen thinks it's very "pre-tee".

We enjoyed the rest of the day watching football (and no, I don't want to talk about the Penn State game!) while Owen took a snooze. Nice weekend.

No comments: