November 4, 2008

My Last Political Musings (For Now, I Think)

I freely admit that I have never been a particularly gracious loser, and I think it comes as no surprise that I am disappointed by the results of the election. But the majority has spoken and I will do my best to support our new president. I sincerely hope that his term in office is a peaceful, prosperous one for all Americans.

But I do have a few questions:

How do I proceed in trying to convince Cearra to study hard, work diligently at a job and earn a good paycheck, when an increased percentage of that paycheck will be taken out of her hands and used instead to support others (including women who choose to obtain a late term abortion but can not pay for it)?

What do I teach Owen about respecting our country by flying the flag, wearing the colors or reciting the Pledge of Allegiance when our leader thinks those things aren't necessary ...

and how do I convey to him that listening passively to someone preach a message of hate (against anyone) is not OK when our new president did so for 20 years?

How do Bob (and the other small business owners who employ more than 80% of Americans) maintain their companies and help their employees prosper when they are forced to pay more and more in taxes?

What do I say to Cearra's boyfriend Curt, who dreams of defending this country by serving as a Navy Seal, and Bob's cousin Andrew, in his senior year at the Naval Academy, when military spending is slashed and our president apologizes to the very nations we've helped save and agrees to sit down with those who hate us because of our beliefs?

These are a few of the issues we will all have to face now that "change" is coming. I have no doubt Bob and others will dig deep to find a way to make their businesses grow and continue to be the backbone of our communities. And of course, I will respond to these questions as I always have - stressing to my children the importance of hard work, personal responsibility, patriotism. Believing in the strength and goodness of America and respecting those who lay their lives on the line to defend her.

In his concession speech, John McCain congratulated the next president, acknowledged the historical significance of the election and said:

"I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together, to find the necessary compromises, to bridge our differences, and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited."

He ended by saying:

"And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties but to believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history, we make history."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you can't work your way around to changing your perception of who Obama is. The best thing to do is tell them what I've told mine the last 8 years.

No one is perfect. Not even the President. And that he has some ideas that I don't agree with but most of America thought it sounded pretty good. So, we're going to try it his way for the next four years. But, the great thing about our country is that in 4 years we'll get to have another choice. And if someone comes around with a better idea then we'll get a chance to try out their ideas.~Bren

Jennifer said...

Ah Jodi, just when I think I've finally come to grips with the outcome, your post brings my emotions bubbling up again over what you so eloquently wrote, and what we are going to be struggling with both as families and as a country.

I read the phrase, "the future now looks brighter" this morning on another blog, and I am honestly confused. I just don't get it. I'm not trying to be dense, but I see what you see, what you wrote; not the "brightness" that others see.

In trying to look forward, I am trying hard to understand what others see and just WHY people now say the future looks brighter. I hope to be able to find some nugget (and dare I even hope- multiple nuggets) to hang on to in the next 4 years. Just trying find the positive.

Kristine said...

I think this was a great post (hits close to home, of course) - and I appreciate your comment on our blog... these are interesting times and it's hard to toe the line (let alone find it) between resolution and approval. Ah... it's just so difficult.

Anonymous said...

What luck of rulers that men don't think.
-Adolph Hitler

Sometimes people hop on the bandwagon and get caught up in the hype. I'm willing to see where this goes but if all else fails, Australia here we come!

A