November 16, 2008

Spreading Our Blessings


Christmas is drawing near, and with it the inquiries from family asking what I'd like as a gift. And while there are always shiny baubles or cute knick-knacks that catch my eye and inspire a little longing, I am very lucky to be able to say there is nothing I need - I have friends, family, a home, food, four furry kids, my loving husband and my beautiful and healthy children. And while there's always room in my closet for cashmere, no material item comes close to competing with our blessings.

Sadly, many people around the globe can't say the same. And while I can't come close to helping all of them, I can make Christmas a little brighter for an orphan in Kazakhstan.

Two Hearts for Hope is an organization started by two fellow adoptive moms. Throughout the year they work to raise awareness, collect and deliver donations, and improve the quality of life for the children left behind. This holiday season they are offering the opportunity to provide each child at the Ulan Orphanage in Taraz with a special gift for the New Year.

There are 160 kids, ages 5-16, living at the children's home. A $15 donation will sponsor 1 child and allow that child to go to a local toy store and pick out their own toy or gift. Can you imagine how exciting this will be for a child who's never had anything to call their own? And any extra donations received will go towards purchasing bicycles and roller blades for all the children at the orphanage.

Bob and I have sponsored two children (so far!) and would like to suggest that if you are still searching for the perfect present for us, let this be it. Or donate in honor of someone you love; in honor of the blessings in your own life; or just because it's a good thing to do. Click on that little button at the top of the page (or go to www.twoheartsforhope.org) before December 1st and help make a child smile this season.

No comments: