January 25, 2012

Five Years Ago in Kokshetau

Awake, predawn, in a hotel room. Excitement, nerves and jet-lag make an insistent alarm clock.

Waiting through blowing fuses with the hairdryer; breakfast in a room with a yurt in the corner; more paperwork.

Driving through narrow streets, smoke and cold in the air. Two flights up at the children's hospital, nodding at nurses, trying not to peer into other rooms where local mothers and babies lay. A smell I will recognize always  but never be able to describe.

Now into a small room with a rickety crib ... and an unfamiliar child. That isn't him. Burst of fear-confusion-worry.

No, no, nyet, they realize their mistake. Wait a minute more.

And then ... finally ... Owen.


Perfect, beautiful, promised, already so loved.

A little while later, I sit on a low cot, my back pressed to the cracked tile wall. Our baby boy sleeps in my arms. I look at Bob as my heart bursts with joy. Happiness overflows in the form of tears.

This will forever be my favorite moment.

4 comments:

Susan C. said...

What a great post! And you are so right... that moment has to the one of the best ever. And I so know what you mean about that smell. :)

Anonymous said...

God has blessed you and Bob with Owen and blessed Owen with you and Bob. We love you guys. Hope to see you soon.
Aunt Cathy and Uncle Rich

Mom/Nanny said...

Oh that precious picture of Owen, and the many that followed, with your treasured updates. What an amazing journey for 'all' of you! Ditto to Aunt Cathy and Uncle Rich's post. Love you all, Nanny

Jenni said...

Love those memories! Our 5 year was Jan. 29! I always miss Kaz this time of year and wish we could just teleport back there without all the paperwork and anxiety of traveling through airports and not understanding anybody. I wish the same smiling faces were on the other end of the trip. Man, I miss that experience and making those memories but we're making new ones on our own turf this time.