January 19, 2012

Secrets of a Shopoholic

Somewhat embarrassing but true - no list of my hobbies would be complete without the addition of "shopping". I like finding new stores, and I can happily spend hours looking at each offering on the shelves of our local Marshalls. I find contentment in it. Not everyone understands, but oh, my Nana P and I were a finely tuned browsing team. I carry on the tradition in honor of her (smile).

I enjoy seeing new and pretty things, or finding the perfect gift for someone. Yes, I like purchasing things to decorate our home or my wrists (and earlobes, and neck) but it's not all about acquiring. Because what I really like - what really gets my shopper juices flowing - is a good buy. For instance:


Top row, left to right: GAP sweater (note the adorable elbow patches); Ralph Lauren Polo shirt; long-sleeve OshGosh corduroy shirt (New With Tags, retail $22); long-sleeve fleeced lined OshGosh shirt (NWT, retail $30)

2nd Row down, l to r: Gymboree long-sleeve top; Gymboree long-sleeve top; Circo long-sleeve top (Target brand); Old Navy long-sleeve top

3rd row down, l to r: Gymboree sweater; Gymboree sweater; Gymboree sweater

Bottom row, l to r: Gymboree short-sleeve top (NWT, retail $19.50); Janie and Jack rugby shirt

I also picked up a pair of corduroy pants for Owen and, because I love him and it's his newest obsession, this Monster Jam t-shirt. Which he adores, but will only be allowed to wear around the house - ha-ha!


I spent $26.13.

In other words, I got everything you see, all of which is in great shape and 90% of which is higher-end children's clothes, for almost four dollars less than the original price tag on the one shirt.

Yeah, I'm good.

Here are my "secrets" ...
  • I go to my local "consignment" store (no name, don't want to give everything away!) about once a week. Sundays are half-off day, so that's usually when I go. It's more crowded but I've scored Polo shirts for $.86. 
  • I look through each rack - often times clothes are not in the correct section, so you have to be thorough. If I have any interest, I throw it in my cart. At the end of each aisle I check each item very carefully and decide if it makes the cut. 
  • I am very picky - I do not buy anything stained, stretched, piled, worn looking , etc.. It's not a bargain if it looks bad. 
  • I will buy ahead - season and/or size wise if I find something I like (the GAP sweater is a 6/7, so it might be two winters before Owen wears it).  
  • I know name brands, where they come from, and generally how much they sell for; I know if I can find new items cheaper at the store with coupons or at an outlet. If I find a Polo, Gymboree, Janie and Jack, Tommy Hilfinger, or Hanna Andersson item, I almost always end up getting it for someone! 
  • I keep my friends/family in mind when shopping and will pick things up for them - everything in the picture except the sweater, rugby and far right OshGosh shirt are for my nieces Samantha and Kenzie and nephew Riley; and I'm getting ready to send a package with three Polo shirts and an Old Navy hot pink trench coat (sooo cute) to another friend for her kids.
But most of all, you have to like the hunt. Some days it's a gold mine; some days, more a waste of time. I love the thrill of victory! I love sharing my finds, and I really love dressing Owen well for very little money. So, let me know if your kiddo needs anything and I'll keep an eye out on my next shopping trip!!

3 comments:

Mom/Nanny said...

You guys always look 'picture perfect'. I think it is the perfect time to make this post. So many people are struggling with finances, especially at this time of year, and there are wonderful 'treasures' in almost all second-hand stores. Whether its clothing, lamp shades, unique vases, a little imagination can turn a drab (after Christmas) room into a bright, personally unique place to relax and enjoy! Love you and your blog, Nanny

NANA said...

Jodi, You make me chuckle because I have been on these "shopping" quests with you. It also reminds me of the frustrating shopping trips with you Nana when I was a teen. She looked at EVERY thing, whether or not she wanted or needed it. Must be a gene thing and it passed me by!! Happy hunting, Honey. I'll be glad to trail along now and then. After all, we have found some great things for the house together!!! Love you. Be well. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Jodi, I wish I'd had a friend like you when my son was little. I would have benefited from your enthusiasm and expertise in shopping...and would have had such fun.
You have, however, gotten me excited about finding a consignment shop near by. It is never too late. Love you, pam