October 2, 2007

Beyond Good


"A grateful heart helps balance even the tightest budget."

- from Glimpses of an Invisible God for Mothers: Experiencing God in the Everyday Moments of Life

Yesterday I was trying to decide if I had enough spending money to splurge on a pricey hair cut and highlights, and if I could convince Bob to get delivery pizza for dinner instead of the boring pork chops I was defrosting. Ultimately I knew nether was the wisest choice, but that reality bummed me out.

Bob is a wonderful provider for our family; and I'm incredibly proud of him and the business (http://www.americanefficiency.com/) he has built. We have a beautiful home, nutritious food to eat, money to keep all of our creditors happy, and enough to enjoy occasional trips and visits to friends and family.

What we also have is quite a few necessary expenses - from the mundane (insurance, a car payment, diapers) to the exciting (Cearra's graduation announcements!) - and a large tally from our jaunt half way around the world earlier this year. And so, we now have a strict budget as well.

As I've mentioned before, it's been very difficult for me to adjust to not having a paycheck. You see, I'm a shopper. It's been one of my favorite hobbies for years and I'm really good at it! I love the search for interesting trinkets for the house, surprise gifts for others, shoes and purses for me. Prior to becoming a SAHM I always had a little extra to spend on my hobby. That was good.

So I was missing my hobby; I've been a bit low over our low funds. And then today, while lunching with Owen and thumbing through the latest issue of "Guideposts" magazine, I came across the above quote. It was just what I needed.

Tonight I'm getting my hair cut using a gift card, I know I'll be wearing last year's clothes this fall, dinners out will be few and far between (and the pork chops were very tasty), and I'll be (mostly) avoiding the glossy lure of catalogs and shopping centers. But I'll also have a grateful heart for each moment I'm spending with Owen. And that is beyond good - it's priceless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there. Get turned on to all the things and places you can go and enjoy for free. The Baltimore/Washington DC area is full of great events and museums that are free.

Anonymous said...

Great photo (a wise man once said...) and great blog. Can't wait until you publish your book. I will buy it. Friend of Chris' friend.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I were raised by two hard working parents. We lived in a place where most kids were like us and had what we needed, but no excess. But, we did have two loving parents who were there for us through whatever came our way. We went to ball games together, they saw every play,performance and dance, ate dinner every night together and encouraged us to do our best. It was only after leaving their house that we discovered that we were relatively poor at times. Heck, we didn't even know it!!! You can give Owen the best of yourself and he will never miss the material things from Target!!! Love him and be there for him and that will stand him in good stead as he grows.

Anonymous said...

Jodi keep up the great work, I so enjoy reading your blog. Owen is precious.

You are rich with love and there is nothing more important.
Leah

Jennifer said...

What a great saying. I needed to hear that too. I think I'll print it out and put it on my monitor. My thoughts are along the exact same as yours- beautiful home, much to be grateful for, but every once in awhile I wish for the "extras." Then I look at my beautiful girl and know it's worth the penny pinching.