October 23, 2007

The Cole Family



This is my dear friend Susan Cole and her son Jack in the Kokshetau airport almost one year ago; and her hubby Scott, her and Jack earlier this month.

Susan and I struck up an email correspondence last fall when we learned we would both be traveling to Kokshetau for our children, and Susan and Scott were in Kazakhstan with us when Bob and I suffered a great loss.

Scott and Bob walked the city for hours while Susan sat with me in their apartment and listened to me cry. They fed us homemade mac & cheese, roasted chicken (comfort foods) and let us play with Jack. We flew to Almaty with them, where at a corner table in Mad Murphy's Scott and I discussed faith and destiny; and each day we witnessed their absolute joy in Jack. Without them, our days would have been darker, our will to continue to Owen not as strong. They are truly amazing people we are proud to call friends.

Tomorrow they celebrate the day Jack officially become their son - although I think they'd tell you (and I'd agree) he was their son the moment they saw him, held him, hugged him. From across the country we celebrate with them.

But today Susan, Scott and Jack are one of the many families affected by the wildfires in southern California. I talked to Susan earlier this afternoon and the good news is that they are all safe at Scott's sisters house, and they had time to take or secure their valuables before leaving their home. Now they wait.

Please join me in prayers and positive thoughts for them and all those in the fire's path. That the fire will be put out, that no lives are lost, that no further property is damaged. I'll keep you up to date on how they are doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful testimony to friendship, love and faith. This is to let you (Scott, Susan and Jack) that my friends and family here in Western Maryland are praying for your safety and the protection of your home.

Anonymous said...

What a touching message about Scott, Susan, and Jack. Good friends are so important! Let them know that they are in my thoughts and prayers for continued safety.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture of Owen holding the little pumpkin. This blog never fails to bring a happy tear to my eye. I love reading it!! You do a wonderful job of keeping it updated and Owen is adorable. Please tell your dad I said a happy belated birthday.
Tanya