May 8, 2011

On Mother's Day


I think I'm a good mom; I certainly put more effort and more of myself into it than any previous "job" I've held. Owen's recent declaration that he "loves me more than John Deere" made my heart soar, and would seem to support my belief that I'm doing pretty well on the motherhood front.

So if indeed that's true, it's largely (if not entirely) because I was blessed with a great mom who showed me every day of my childhood, and through her every act, how to be a mother. From her I learned how to nurture, shape, and encourage. How to create a safe place for Owen to grow, and a place to which he can always return for a hug. How to be present, how to be real, how to put aside the less important things to make time for family.

And if I am a good mom, I certainly don't do it alone. I'm lucky to be married to a good man, who was raised by another wonderful mom (who is, quite simply, the most supportive, creative, generous mother-in-law in the world). I am touched by the examples set by a sister and a sister-in-law who are both incredible moms. And I am supported and cheered on every day by friends who are fabulous moms.

Today I thank you, celebrate with you, and honor you all.

But I also pray for those for whom this day brings pain ... my friends who have lost their moms; and those moms who have children who are desperately ill or in heaven. Those suffering through the despair of wanting a child, and not being able to have one (yet). Those whose children are distant, or troubled, or free-falling.

And not least, a young woman in a faraway land who sacrificed a part of her heart forever so that I may have my forever heart.

3 comments:

MOM K said...

Thank you Jodi for the lovely tribute to the mothers in your life. If I have been a contributor to your mothering skills, it is because I was brought up by your Nana, who taught me everything I know. I also know how much you loved her. You and Kris are the shining stars on my crown and I love you with all my heart. It is so good to see that love passed on to my grandchildren and so the circle continues. Love, MOM

Maria said...

You inspire me as much as I could ever encourage you. Watching you with Owen and Cearra is beautiful. We were made to love but it itsn't always easy. The way you showed compassion for those who are struggling on this day really touches my heart. I spent part of my Mothers Day crying and praying with a single mom having a hard time raising her son with autism. I'm so fortunate to be surrounded by support and need to remember my blessings.

Love you,

Maria

Nanny/Mom said...

Words cannot truly express how I feel about you Jodi, and I too give thanks for your wonderful Mother, Hannah.

My life was truly blessed with my precious mother, whom I dearly love and miss. But the same 'love' she had and showed to her family and others, I see in my, sister, sisters-in-law, daughters-in-law, and their mothers. As your mother said "...and so the circle continues".

Thank you for your kind words, and love.
With my love and appreciation, Mom/Nanny