September 1, 2011

There Goes My Baby

Big day here. Arrived at school early so I could drop off a bag of required supplies (just paper towels, Dixie cups, kleenex - gotta love private school) and walk Owen in, because as I told his teacher,  I only get to do this once. She seemed to understand. We hung up his bag in his cubbie, took a few pictures, looked at some of his favorite things. Then it was time to give him a big kiss and wish him a great day. And nope, I didn't cry. But only, I know, because we opted for half-day kindergarten. I like to put off the inevitable.

Some observations from Owen's orientation and first-day:



His buddies Nick and Dylan. Yep, these three might be trouble!


During orientation, the kids were given a project that involved cutting, writing their name, and gluing.

The woman on one side of us sat next to her son in a bitty-chair and filled out paperwork while he completed the task; didn't say much to him but did point out to me - with a smirk - that Owen's apple was getting "awfully small" (due to Owen cutting off a bit more of the corner that the project really called for). Well, gosh, thank you for that constructive comment.

The woman on the other side practically sat in her son's lap and pretty much did the project for him. She also made sure to be the first to grab the pencil and the glue stick from the center of the table when the teacher told us they were needed. Now, I believe she is also an adoptive mom, so it hurts to criticise another member of my clan, but lady, if I think you are a helicopter mom ... well, you just might have a problem.


Brown-nosing, or really cute, creative (and inexpensive) Teacher's gifts? I'm sticking with the latter.


The school wants us to use the tote bags they provide, so Owen and I made a trip to JoAnn's Fabrics to pick out some iron-on patches to personalize his bag.


"Mom, what are we doing today?"
"Going to school!"
"What are we doing tomorrow?"
"Going to school!"
"What about the fifth day?"
"Going to school!"
"And the day after that?"
"Going to school!"
"Oh ..."

He is slowly catching on, but I am painfully aware today marks the day my buddy starts on the long path of daily school (and less time hanging out with me).






I will ALWAYS think he is the cutest kid in the class!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the other kids, and I don't have to...he is the cutest kid in the class. Much love, pam

Mom/Nanny said...

You and Pam now have my vote, for 'The Cutest Kid in the Class'! I feel this will be 'the vote' for the rest of his school days...

Love the pictures and your 'words' that help put me right there, watching and listening. What wonderful days lie ahead for all. Thank you for the blog Jodi, it truly means so much to me.
Love, Mom/Nanny

NANA said...

Oh, Jo, He is just so adorable. I love what you did with his rather mundane sack! Shows some individuality and personality! We are happy that his day (and yours) went off without a hitch. Thanks for helping us share the day. Love ya, MOM

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing another of Owen's firsts. Your blog always makes us feel as if we are there sharing Owen's adventures. Owen gets our vote for cuteset in the class.

Love,
Uncle Rich & Aunt Cathy