September 18, 2011

Veni Vidi Campi

I came, I saw, I camped.

And, I liked it! In fact, with a few equipment upgrades and lessons learned under my belt (more on that later), I think I may be on the road to loving it.


I have no doubt that Owen loved it. Being outside with two of his best buddies, digging in the dirt, climbing rocks, and making marsh mellow fireballs. Err, I mean, S'mores.





He loved sleeping in a tent, lobbing shrimp into the lake (aka fishing), peeing outside (no pics of that. You're welcome), playing Angry Birds, and chowing on hot dogs and sausages hot off the grill.





As for me, Fall is my favorite season, and once the early day drizzle stopped, the weather was just right. I've always found peace in the woods, and our camping trip was no different. Watching Owen laugh, exchanging smiles with Bob, talking into the night with friends around a camp fire while sipping Moscato from a red plastic cup.  Yep, good stuff.

I've learned that elastic waist, pull-on pants and slip-on shoes are best for camping, and that pillows from home - vs. a bunched up blanket - are key for a real night's sleep. And because I believe there will be a next time, I think I'll be doing a little shopping for a bigger tent, a more comfy camp chair, an air mattress ('cause these bones are a bit old for another night on the ground), and perhaps a little whimsy to shine light in that new, bigger tent.


After all, it's always important to accessorize, right?!

1 comment:

NANA said...

WOW!!! Never thought I'd hear that you went camping, Jodi, and are thinking of doing it again! The pictures of Owen and his buddies are wonderful. I hope he will always remember that great camping weekend with his parents and friends. Thanks for the camp report. Love to all, MOM