February 12, 2012

Ours All Along

"We got him".

I called my parents and exhaled those words as Bob and I sat cross-legged on the floor of our apartment watching Owen watch us.

Getting ready to spring Owen from the Children's Hospital

Today is the anniversary of our Gotcha Day. And while I am not usually a big fan of that particular term, on that day five years ago it felt exactly right. Never mind that we still had two official weeks to wait out before he was legally a Mechem; on that afternoon we celebrated. After piles of paperwork, months of heart wrenching waiting, and one really big bump in the road, we had finally made it - we finally "got" our son.

I still look at him with the same amazement and love I did that day in Kokshetau. My heart still thrills at his smile, my eyes still fill with tears at how much I adore him. At times I pause and question how in the world we got so lucky. How was it even possible that we'd go half way around the world to meet the perfect child for us?

This laid-back, happy kid who likes to stay up (and sleep in) late; who is slyly funny and caring and kind; who likes to lay out his clothes on the bed in a little outfit just like I do. This beautiful boy who loves cats and tractors and monster trucks; this cutie with a vivid imagination and a little thrill seeker streak who likes nothing more than cuddling up with us at the end of the day. This perfect piece of our family.

Sometimes I still wonder. And then I remember that God had this all along. And I am so thankful.

2 comments:

Mom/Nanny said...

Congratulations! Although we were all 'winners' when it comes to 'receiving' Owen. What a blessing.

I had just checked my calendar and posted it to my facebook page, I know how special this day and that little 'man' is to you and your entire family!

Forever thankful for your wonderful decision, and the long and 'bumpy' journey you were willing to take.

Love, Mom/Nanny

Maria said...

So thankful for O and to you and Bob for traveling so far and going through so much to make him a part of our family. God truly does know what He's doing. Love you guys.