March 12, 2011

Prayers for Japan

We had a day of pretty strong winds and rain on Thursday; enough to topple an old tree into power lines on an adjacent street and leave us without electricity for three hours.

When the lights flickered off, Cearra, Owen and I sat in the silence for minute, amplified by the sudden shut-off of Sponge Bob on TV. I gathered flashlights - thank goodness for Owen's toys because none of the "real" versions were working - and lit almost my entire collection of candles to hold back the darkness.

I was slightly annoyed in the way you are when dinner plans get scuttled; entertainment options are lessened; general niceties are momentarily abated. But I was also quite aware of how very lucky we are to live in an area of the world where power outages are rare and often brief, and more inconvenience than anything else.

Friday morning I woke to the news of a massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan. And I can't stop thinking ...

At roughly the same time Owen and I were playing combine demolition derby by candlelight, a mother in Japan was desperately trying to protect her child.

As Bob made his way home around blocked roads and without a few street lights, a man in Japan was wondering if he'd ever see his wife and children again.

While I pondered what to serve my family for dinner without benefit of stove or microwave, a family in Japan scrambled to survive.


I saw a comment on facebook that this ripping apart of the earth, this devastation of life and land, was God's wrath. I don't believe that. I think any miracles that come in the form of survivors is God's work.

Once again, I am reminded of my blessings. To appreciate each and every day I am given and to hold my family and friends close. And I find myself praying constantly for the people of Japan as they try to ease the darkness.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Beautifully said! I agree with every word. While secretly annoyed with our dinnertime power outage, I tried (with Chris) to make the evening a fun adventure and enjoy the time we spent together in the waning light of our one little lantern. Hearing the devastating news from Japan at some dark hour while I was nursing Lily that night sent shivers down my spine. I said my prayers for them and thanked God for the blessings in my life as well.

Nanny said...

"There, But for the Grace of God, Go I"
Such a true, moving reflection Jodi. We are so blessed, and it is heartbreaking to watch the scenes on TV. I do pray for the people of Japan and all of those rushing to their aid.

If you hear of an agency that is 'helping' please let me know. Love, Mom/Nanny

Maria said...

You are so right Jodi. We are so blessed and we need to pray for and help those in need not condemn them. Many prayers for Japan that God's love will out shine any darkness.